Using page passwords to share your clients’ photos

Did you know that you could add a password to any of your Squarespace site’s pages? That can come in handy if you’re a photographer and need to share a set of photos with your clients. 

Let’s say you’re a wedding photographer and have a bunch of photos to share. You can create a page on your site, add all of the photos, and style it how you’d like. Then you can password protect the page and share the URL along with the password to your clients. They can then log themselves in to enjoy and download their photos. Here’s some more information about adding page passwords

Have you tried this or something else to share photos with your clients? Let us know in the comments! 

• 3 weeks later...

This is a great feature. What I would like to see in addition is the ability to inherit the password protection of a page to its subpages (as is currently the case with Blog and Portfolio, at least on one sub-level). Currently you have to password protect the subpages of a password protected page individually and the user/customer has to enter the password for each subpage separately.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/24/2023 at 12:40 PM, VisualNotes said:

This is a great feature. What I would like to see in addition is the ability to inherit the password protection of a page to its subpages (as is currently the case with Blog and Portfolio, at least on one sub-level). Currently you have to password protect the subpages of a password protected page individually and the user/customer has to enter the password for each subpage separately.

If you need page in similar group then it is the use case of portfolio right?

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 4 months later...

I just discovered this feature when looking for an option to password protect certain areas for my photography. I find the squarespace set up a bit clunky and found this in an article online as well. 

https://www.tooltester.com/en/how-to-make-photography-website/ 

What they should improve: While you can password-protect pages to create private client galleries, Squarespace doesn’t offer any client proofing features or the ability for clients to order gallery prints. Faster page loading speeds would also make for a better user experience.

I..e it would be good to have a member area for your subscribers that is password protected and then you can upload any images they bought this way. 

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, DarrenF said:

May I know how much storage is allocated per user for this purpose?

Squarespace does not limit "storage" in the way that other platforms do. There are no limits in data sizes (such as gigabytes). Instead there are limits on the number of pages, sections, and video storage (in minutes, not gigabytes). 

You may find it helpful to read the Page Limits guide.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

7 minutes ago, DarrenF said:

I was referring to photo galleries for the purpose of clients to download.

On your Squarespace v7.0 sites, you can add up to 250 images to a Gallery Page or a Gallery Block. (Users on Squarespace v7.1 can add up to 250 images to each Gallery Section instead.)

Galleries are ideal for portfolios, but as @NadjaK mentioned above, they aren't designed for client proofing or for downloading or ordering images. For that purpose, you may want to consider using another platform alongside Squarespace, such as Pixieset, as it makes it much easier to share, deliver, proof and sell photographs online. If you give the proofing site a subdomain of your main site, it can be seamless for users to transition between them.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

29 minutes ago, DarrenF said:

I'm using another platform alongside Squarespace to help with that via a subdomain.

Out of interest, which platform are you using?

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.