Bulk Delete Mistaken Variants - Bug?

Go to solution Solved by creedon,

Hi All,

Store site here: Shop the Lab — Two Moons - Limited Edition AI Print Shop

I've got a very large inventory of items, which I have bulk uploaded to my shop using a .csv. I decided to edit my variant names to include mm dimensions, but it seems when I uploaded the .csv, SquareSpace retained the previous variants (despite none of the product id's changing....)

Is this a bug, or have I done something wrong? I can't seem to figure out a way to update the variants to only include those with dimensions (or those without for that matter). Please tell me I don't have to manually delete nearly 500 products and reupload them? 

• Replies 4
  • Views 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to update a variant name ( Option Name n ) in the CSV file.

I did an initial import of some test products. I then exported the products for the store to a CSV file. The exported file contains new data that SS added as part of the import process.

I then updated an option name on one of the products.

I then imported the CSV which updated the info in the store page.

Give this process a try and let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

At first I thought that might work! Had realised my first attempt at uploading the edited CSV, I had not used a directly exported file from SS, but rather edited an existing. Meaning many of the variants did not have the SS assigned IDs within them.

However, I have just re-exported a fresh inventory, and I can see all variants with associated Ids and SKUs. I've deleted the variants which I do not want. Reuploading this .csv has not removed the extra variants.

I then tried the same process but updated Option Name 1 to "Print Size" from "Size" to see if it made any difference. I got an "Unknown error, please upload manually" response for each product.

Is there maybe a way to just completely restart my inventory and upload a fresh .csv? Have I not understood your instructions, maybe?

• Solution

I've deleted the variants which I do not want. Reuploading this .csv has not removed the extra variants.

I don't think you can delete data via a CSV import. The import again process is only for updating information.

Is there maybe a way to just completely restart my inventory and upload a fresh .csv?

You can certainly start over. Just create a new Store page and then use the URL slug from the new store page in your CSV import.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Thanks! This is what I ultimately did for anyone looking in future. Be careful what you upload, because removing it is tough! I just deleted the products in the existing page, and reuploaded everything. 

Oddly, however, my deleted products within a store seem to live on as "Deleted" entries. Perhaps the best way in future is to do as you suggest and delete the entire store page?