ReCaptcha disappeared - cannot reload

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi,

I loaded and successfully activated the reCaptcha function on the URL provided. Today, when I checked and updated the site, I noticed that the reCaptcha has dropped off. I can see it is active if I go into the contact details. I have removed and re-added, but the "I am not a robot" function is not reappearing. 

Do you know what happened and why I cannot see the box anymore?

Thank you

Andrea

• Solution
On 3/27/2023 at 5:00 AM, JAndreaJ said:

I loaded and successfully activated the reCaptcha function…I noticed that the reCaptcha has dropped off. I can see it is active if I go into the contact details…but the "I am not a robot" function is not reappearing. 

This is due to a Squarespace update that has replaced all the version 2 reCaptcha elements (which require the “I’m not a robot” checkbox) with the version 3 reCaptcha. Squarespace have simplified the configuration of the v3 reCaptcha. You no longer need a Google account or to provide site specific API keys. 

This newer element does not require the visual element, giving you more more control over your site’s design. You are still protected against spam submissions. The only indication that your site is protected by reCaptcha is a badge that conditionally appears in the bottom corner of the screen when a visitor interacts with a reCaptcha-protected block. 

Did this help?

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Hi all, I seem to be missing ReCaptcha from External API Keys section - where I can enter the Public and Private Keys.

As you can see from the screen grab, I only have Google and Amazon.... I am sure I have seen Recaptcha there recently, but not now.

I have five other SqSp sites, and it is the same with them.

Any clues greatly appreciated as it is drive me bonkers 🙃
image.thumb.jpeg.24589fe126eaa7fd5f22618cee5adb86.jpeg (

"Don't look at that is and ask, WHY... look at what isn't and ask WHY NOT!"

1 hour ago, SamboB said:

I seem to be missing ReCaptcha from External API Keys section

See my post above. 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

41 minutes ago, SamboB said:

I do understand the adoption and difference between V3 and V2, but I have nowhere to put the site keys?

The v2 reCaptcha requires you to create your own API keys within Google’s reCaptcha platform and this has always been confusing for some users. 

For this reason, Squarespace have simplified the configuration of the v3 reCaptcha. You no longer need a Google account or to provide site specific API keys. To enable the v3 reCaptcha, you only need to slide the toggle within Squarespace.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

So, I followed the directions and registered the custom domain name and the squarespace domain name in Google Recaptcha site and did V2 (since V3 is not supported) and got the site and secret keys but when I follow the instructions to go back into Squarespace to enter them, there is not an option in the External API Keys for me to enter them into a form field.   It only gives me a Google Analytics and Amazon associates link in the UI/UX.   Is this a bug and does anyone have a workaround? 

I want to put a recaptcha field on the bottom of my contact Us page under the form field section. 

I also turned on Google Captcha option under the Storage tab of the form field editor.  

Thank you! 

Screen Shot 2023-04-04 at 3.33.06 PM.png

@caryn @sandyo please see my post above:

Hey @paul2009 , recaptchas are not working anymore . the toggle button is there yes in Forms but no change when trying as a user. before this change every Form on our website was ok and done by traditional google v2 implementation, now none works anymore. ive even tried to do news ones and replace with same specs but still not appearing anymore.

4 minutes ago, Joseph13 said:

recaptchas are not working anymore

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the new reCAPTCHA is not intrusive, so the only indication that it is working is a small badge that appears in the bottom corner of the screen (not the form) when a visitor interacts with the form block. However, if reCAPTCHAs are not working on your site, you may want to contact Squarespace Customer Care for assistance.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, kmh23 said:

The fields to enter the google recapture code is not showing on my page, under external api.

As I mentioned above, Squarespace recently added the version 3 reCaptcha which does not require site specific API keys. The only exception is when adding a form to a Cover Page on Squarespace 7.0.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Elemino said:

I enabled reCAPTCHA on my contact form, but unlike every other Squarespace site I've setup, it never asked for the keys.

See my answer above. Squarespace have simplified the configuration of the reCaptcha. You no longer need site specific API keys.