DISCOUNT "cannot be applied to your order" on summary page

have setup a discount code for FREE SHIPPING.

if ordering from a phone:
after you add item to cart and move to checkout,
you first receive an "ORDER SUMMARY" page.
this includes a field for "gift or discount code"
entering the code here (FREEEEE) it returns the message:
"this discount cannot be applied to your order"
THIS IS THE MAIN ISSUE.
SO MANY CUSTOMERS HAVE HAD THIS PROBLEM.

scrolling to the bottom of this "order summary" page
there is button for APPLE PAY
and a button "or checkout with credit card"

clicking on APPLE PAY does not give customer another chance to enter code.
think this is just kink in using apple pay.

it DOES WORK by clicking on "checkout with credit card" and go through the steps and re-entering the code at very end.

BUT—after receiving "this discount cannot be applied to your order" NO ONE is going the extra step.
they just try it again & again, growing frustrated, emailing us, but ultimately not ordering.
This barrier has prevented a number of orders.

PLEASE HELP.

OTHER DISCOUNT CODES DO WORK—it is only the FREE SHIPPING that is an issue.

understand that it is working by going to the bottom and digging deeper—
BUT were LOSING and FRUSTRATING everyone before advancing to that step.

thank you

IMG_3472.PNG

1 hour ago, LELANDER said:

after you add item to cart and move to checkout, you first receive an "ORDER SUMMARY" page. this includes a field for "gift or discount code" entering the code here (FREEEEE) it returns the message: "this discount cannot be applied to your order"

This problem usually occurs when a customer enters a shipping discount code before they have provided a valid shipping address. This is because a shipping discount can only be applied to a valid shipping method, and this cannot be selected until a valid shipping address has been provided.

If the customer enters the discount code after choosing a shipping method, the discount should be applied correctly, as shown below:

image.thumb.png.dfbbaef0391fc61c969506eca4b0ef8e.png

The same issue exists on desktop and mobile, but is less common on desktop because the layout is clearer. On mobiles, the gift or discount code field is often visible immediately like this (see below) encouraging customers to provide the discount code too early in the process.

image.thumb.png.316bd6ab735a7fe286a5ead355694f43.png

I hope this explanation helps you to assist your customers.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Really appreciate the explanation, but DANG.
It is just very unfortunate language for that "error" message.
If this is the case with all FREE SHIPPING discounts, which is a built-in function, it really should be more encouraging language used to assist folks to move along... something akin to "please enter your shipping details to complete the order" — or it shouldn't even ask for a discount code until after details have been entered.

Do we have opportunity to change that at all? i assume "no" since the commerce functions are sort of a separate beast from the general site editing capabilities.

This sort of seems like a fail that can be easily resolved with some better placement or language.

We should not have to wait for a customer to reach out saying it doesn't work—the reality is most people will not take that extra effort and we just lose the transaction.

Edited by LELANDER
  • 5 months later...
On 3/21/2023 at 12:06 PM, LELANDER said:

Really appreciate the explanation, but DANG.
It is just very unfortunate language for that "error" message.
If this is the case with all FREE SHIPPING discounts, which is a built-in function, it really should be more encouraging language used to assist folks to move along... something akin to "please enter your shipping details to complete the order" — or it shouldn't even ask for a discount code until after details have been entered.

Do we have opportunity to change that at all? i assume "no" since the commerce functions are sort of a separate beast from the general site editing capabilities.

This sort of seems like a fail that can be easily resolved with some better placement or language.

We should not have to wait for a customer to reach out saying it doesn't work—the reality is most people will not take that extra effort and we just lose the transaction.

THIS IS EXACTLY TRUE. IT'S RIDICULOUS THAT WE ARE WASTING OUR AD SPEND BECAUSE PEOPLE CANNOT APPLY THE FREESHIP CODE TO THEIR ORDER WHEN USING APPLE PAY OR ANYTHING FOR THAT MATTER. IF THE FREE SHIP CODE ONLY WORKS FOR A CERTAIN SHIPPING OPTION, SQUARESPACE SHOULD AUTOMATICALLY CHOOSE THAT SHIPPING OPTION.

I DON'T EVEN WANT TO KNOW HOW MANY THOUSANDS IN AD SPEND YOU'VE COSTED US WITH THIS PROBLEM SQUARESPACE. WE ARE VERY SERIOUSLY CONSIDERING MIGRATING TO SHOPIFY FOR THIS ONE SINGLE ISSUE

I DON'T ALWAYS TYPE IN ALL CAPS BUT WHEN I DO, IT'S BECAUSE YOU'RE COSTING ME MONEY.

Edited by BlateCo
ANGRY CAPS