Store question - how to list different weights of a single item without over-selling inventory?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello! I had a question regarding Store/Inventory. Let's say I want to add a spice for someone to buy, black pepper. I want to be able to list it in different weights (.5oz/1oz/2oz/4oz/etc). but I want it to "pull" from the same inventory. Is this possible?

For some more detail, let's say I have a total of 16oz of black pepper - I know I can set individual stock quantities for the different weights, but I'd like to not limit myself by any pre-set amounts. Is there a way for Squarespace (or another extension) to "remember" the 16oz. total, and automatically subtract it based on the different weights people can choose from?

Let's say there are 6oz. of black pepper left in stock. I'd love to make it so that people can choose 12 .5oz, 6 1oz, 3 2oz, or any combination that will not go over the remaining amount. 

I hope my question makes sense - thanks so much!

10 minutes ago, a_tree_gnome1 said:

I want to be able to list [a product] in different weights (.5oz/1oz/2oz/4oz/etc). but I want it to "pull" from the same inventory. Is this possible?

No. The inventory of each variant will be managed separately.

The only way to avoid going over the remaining stock is to apply a portion of your stock to each variant. However, this isn't perfect because you cannot predict which size people will order, resulting in some variants showing as sold out when you still have some stock remaining.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️ 

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

On 3/14/2023 at 8:42 AM, paul2009 said:

No. The inventory of each variant will be managed separately.

The only way to avoid going over the remaining stock is to apply a portion of your stock to each variant. However, this isn't perfect because you cannot predict which size people will order, resulting in some variants showing as sold out when you still have some stock remaining.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️ 

Ah, that's a bummer. Anyone make an extension for this? Or is it just not possible with Squarespace?

• Solution
2 hours ago, a_tree_gnome1 said:

Anyone make an extension for this?

There's an extension called Trunk Inventory, but you'd need the pro plan (to include bundling) and it starts at $39 per month.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.