How to create a safe "sandbox" for a new contributor

A member of our organization has volunteered to help me in maintaining the association's website. As far as I know the volunteer has good "user skills", has used software like PageMaker and MailChimp in the past but no website and definitely not Squarespace experience.

I think what I would like to do is create a few unlinked pages, preferably duplicates of actual pages on our site. Then invite him in as a contributor, point him to the unlinked pages and tell him to practice adding, editing text blocks, uploading and placing photos, etc. All without him being able to accidentaly trash anything active.

I have many ideas about how to accomplish the above, but know for sure that there are possible consequences I cannot foresee. For the record I do not think I care if the pages the trainee is working on are openly viewable and findable -- but, I am sure that I don't want them included in our site's live navigation.

I will appreciate any and all discussion and suggestions

Jim in MidCoast Maine

Semi-retired woodturner/shepherd living in MidCoast Maine, USA. Website design has been a "hobby" over the last 10-15 years. I currently manage several websites all using WordPress.ORG and are hosted at GoDaddy. One of the websites belongs to the registry through which we register our Coopworth sheep. My interest in Squarespace is due to wanting to be able to pass website management chores on to other shepherds who will not have the depth of my experience. We are very hopeful that Squarespace will prove more user-friendly than WordPress.

• Replies 1
  • Views 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

In order to give access to the editing functions you want them to have, you would have to invite them to be admins, which gives access to every configuration setting and every page on your site with the exception of ownership transfer options. I think it would be better for you to start a two-week trial of the same template you started with, invite your volunteer to be an admin, and let him work with it. He would need to set up his own free account once the invite is sent out and the trial site would need a sitewide password to access it. You could create a new trial at the end of the two-week period if necessary. Many of us here do the same thing in order to find fixes for problems and try design change requests posted here on the forum. 

Edited by derricksrandomviews