Creating a parallel blog to my website in order to improve my SEO Position

Hi everyone,

I have a website that promote my activity that is a farm producing olive oil and wine in Tuscany, I also have a small e-commerce.

I've read that creating a blog where to publish articles regarding the daily life and other news could be very useful for the seo positioning. 

Does the blog necessarily needs to be part of the website in order tu fully benefit the SEO positioning?

My idea would be to have the main website and then create the blog using another new website ex:
- cantinalepietre.com
- blog.cantinalepietre.com

Also because to be honest I don't personally like the graphic architecture of blogs here in Squarespace so I would create it with another provider. 

thanks

• Replies 4
  • Views 441
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @Zenocavallari,

I wouldn't recommend this - having blog. is called a "wild card domain" and essentially just gives your website a complicated URL structure that isn't easy for Google or users to follow.

In terms of backlinks, while there is some evidence that backlinks to wildcard domains help, over time, as you gain them, having them towards cantinalepietre.com/blog would be much more beneficial.

On top of this, when it comes to the blogs you write, writing about daily life and other news can help, but I'd recommend doing keyword research to find out what people are actually searching for that could lead to website sales.

Henry Purchase

Founder of SEOSpace - the SEO plugin for Squarespace.

Get a Free Squarespace SEO Audit: https://www.seospace.co.uk/squarespace-seo-audit-score

image.png.f2cf8f5bd8cb76803cb561be0b303142.png

12 hours ago, SEOSpace_Henry said:

Hi @Zenocavallari,

I wouldn't recommend this - having blog. is called a "wild card domain" and essentially just gives your website a complicated URL structure that isn't easy for Google or users to follow.

In terms of backlinks, while there is some evidence that backlinks to wildcard domains help, over time, as you gain them, having them towards cantinalepietre.com/blog would be much more beneficial.

On top of this, when it comes to the blogs you write, writing about daily life and other news can help, but I'd recommend doing keyword research to find out what people are actually searching for that could lead to website sales.

Thanks! so essentially creating blog.cantinalepietre.com creates a wild card domain while creating cantinalepietre.com/blog could be helpful if I focus on articles that follow a concrete keyword research?

For reference, blog.example.com is a subdomain, not a “wild card domain." A wildcard DNS record can be created with an asterisk (*) to capture non-existing subdomains. This said, I don’t know of any site (Amazon, Apple, Google, etc.) using wildcard DNS.

Subdomains can be useful for content that is completely separate from the main site, for example: support.squarespace.com or forum.squarespace.com. See this article for more info: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/subdomains-vs-subfolders-seo/239795/

But generally speaking, most small business blogs will be a subdirectory or subfolder structure: example.com/blog

Have SEO questions? Chances are we've written about it! Try a quick Google search to find our advice. Or for personalized support, see our consulting and training sessions.  Official Squarespace Experts since 2014 

12 hours ago, ChristineDarby said:

For reference, blog.example.com is a subdomain, not a “wild card domain." A wildcard DNS record can be created with an asterisk (*) to capture non-existing subdomains. This said, I don’t know of any site (Amazon, Apple, Google, etc.) using wildcard DNS.

Subdomains can be useful for content that is completely separate from the main site, for example: support.squarespace.com or forum.squarespace.com. See this article for more info: https://www.searchenginejournal.com/subdomains-vs-subfolders-seo/239795/

But generally speaking, most small business blogs will be a subdirectory or subfolder structure: example.com/blog

thanks, but, why not using both? 

I read the articles, and overall my idea of the blog is: sharing news (related to the activities of the main site), sharing daily life (less related to the activities of the mais site), sharing traditional tuscan recipe using our products (completely different from the activities of the mais site).

So, what if I'll use a subdirectory to share "official" news related to the main site, and a subdomain to share all the rest that's not related to the main site?