Digital Downloads - Single use download link an option?

I hope I haven't looked past it, but is there a way to limit the download link on a digital product to a single use item? So once the link has been used it expires? I honestly just assumed that was the case but have since come to find that the link can be hit more than once and the download will occur. 

Any advice here would be great! 

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there's an option for limiting clicks on this download link. Are you concerned about the link being shared and re-downloaded?

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

@Ziggy correct. Client wants the download to be a one time affair. They understand that once the buyer has purchased the file, they own it and can share it around. They're just concerned about how easy sharing a link is vs sharing a file. 

If this is not an option, I'll have to let my client know and see if I can convince them that this isn't a deal breaker. 

On 3/9/2023 at 5:03 AM, Dispay-Name-Here said:

is there a way to limit the download link on a digital product to a single use item? So once the link has been used it expires? They're just concerned about how easy sharing a link is vs sharing a file. 

The download link is unique for each purchaser, and expires 24 hours after the purchase.

If the original customer doesn't download the file within 24 hours, when they click the expired link, a new link will be emailed to the original purchaser. This new will also expire within 24 hours.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 7 months later...

It appears that deleting the customer profile after they have made the purchase, automatically deletes access to the download link - please correct me if I am wrong.

Therefore, you can choose the window of time in which you allow the client access. This is limitless, because they can always get a new download link after the 24 hour expiry window. You can insist that they download it within that time, as access will no longer be available after the 24 hour window (or whatever window of time you decide from the point of purchase) and you can manually delete the user profile when the window is up. If for any reason they didn't download it, they can get in contact with you and you can manually send them the product. I also believe it helps to build a digital product use policy into your terms and conditions. For example, you can state that the product is single use, non-transferable or non-distributable etc.

Now if you are like me and do not wish to lose the passivity of the process whilst protecting your work, you can give it a high-ticket price and sell it as a single user licence with lifetime access. Make the limitless downloading a selling point. For example, if you are selling an e-book you can mention that the client would have access to the latest editions anytime the e-book was updated. It may not stop re-sharing, but you can create a price that would help to offset some of those concerns. Besides, limiting the downloads doesn't prevent the client from being able to share what they have downloaded to others.