Edits to mobile site messes up desktop site

On 3/1/2023 at 10:38 PM, bxrswfe said:

I thought we could edit them separately without affecting each other.  Is this not possible?

Generally speaking, you can edit the block layout separately on mobile and desktop. This means you can change the order, position, and size of the blocks. Changes to the contents of the blocks (text, images, etc.) will happen on both the mobile and desktop layout of your website.

What are you trying to edit? What to you looks awful on the mobile site? Can you share some examples of what you are trying to do? 

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone answered this question for you? I have been trying for over a month to fix the same problem, to no avail. Still trying again tonight! I'm looking more and more unprofessional every day and turning off all of my new visitors which I can't afford to do being a new company. Squarespace is too expensive for this minor crap to be happening all of the time.

Edited by Pudgy

@Pudgy could you share some details about the problems you are having? Your website URL too?

I work with Squarespace a lot and although there are quirks to the setup and "best practices" that help to keep everything looking good, I don't find it as problematic as you're describing.

I'd be happy to help with the problems you are having, let me know.

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

Following this conversation. I'm having the same issues, can't believe such a ridiculous problem exists. I have 3 columns each with an icon at the top followed by bullet points below the icon. They appear in different order on the mobile and web version and the icons gets moved around to the wrong column, as do the bullet points. When I alter the mobile to make it match the web the web gets messed up and vice versa. Any help would be much appreciated. 

31 minutes ago, Dagincourt said:

Following this conversation. I'm having the same issues, can't believe such a ridiculous problem exists. I have 3 columns each with an icon at the top followed by bullet points below the icon. They appear in different order on the mobile and web version and the icons gets moved around to the wrong column, as do the bullet points. When I alter the mobile to make it match the web the web gets messed up and vice versa. Any help would be much appreciated. 

I really need to see a screen recording of this happening, it's not something I've experienced, and I use Squarespace every day, I'd like to help but I need to understand this better.

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

10 hours ago, kazimi said:

The changes I make in the template on the desktop view do not look the same when in mobile view -- items (photos, text) end up in different places.

@kazimi The mobile and desktop block layouts (order and position of blocks) is separate. Once you have designed the desktop layout, you need to toggle the mobile view (whilst still in the editor) and design the mobile page layout. Note: Changes to text, images, content, etc will be the same on both mobile and desktop.

This is how the new grid editor is designed, to give you more freedom and control over your design.

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

• 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, Uttam said:

I am also facing the same problem. My desktop view and mobile view are not synched properly. When I work on mobile view the desktop view changes and messes it up/ 

The mobile and desktop layouts are disconnected, but the content is the same on both, so some changes will be reflected on both mobile and desktop. As a general rule the position/size of blocks is what you can make different on mobile to desktop, not the content.

@Uttam If you provide some details about what you're changing and what is messing up, I can give you more specific help.

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

Hi @Ziggy I'm also having an issue of the desktop version not being able to sync properly with the mobile view. For me though, it's the text. I have a blog and when it's on desktop view, the text is widescreen and readable. But when it turns to mobile view, the words become centered and fall down the center of the page, making it extremely difficult to read. It's doing this on some of my blog posts, not all though. 

Note: it starts out fine, but gradually thins out. 

Following this for replies. Thanks

IMG_3875.jpeg

IMG_3874.jpeg

IMG_3873.jpeg

@ctaite92 Can you share your website URL and a blog this is happening on?

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

I don't know if anyone is following still, but we're having a similar issue...we're using this for our church website...when we correct times in the desktop site, the mobile version changes to wrong times. When we correct in the mobile site, the desktop site changes to the wrong times. 

2 hours ago, ctaite92 said:

It's happening on two posts. 

Travel -> USA -> 10 Best Nature Spots on the Gulf Coast

Blog -> How I Planned a 10 Day Solo Roadtrip

Thanks for sharing this. 

Even on the desktop site each number seems to step in on both left and right, I can't see exactly why, but I would suggest that you try and re-do the layout, i.e. grab each block starting at the bottom and dragging each one to a "full width" blue insertion point line (hopefully that's clear!)

Do you have any Custom CSS?

I would be tempted to talk to Squarespace Support and see what they say?

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

• 1 month later...

Having same issue. Has anyone answered this? My images don’t even match from desktop to mobile view. I just keep redoing and having to start over. It’s super frustrating. Been at this for hours now and it’s not working. All I want to do is keep the pictures in the same order and not have them disappear. Should not be this hard. Please advise. Thank you. 

@Kellyjean can you share your website URL and some form of demonstration as to what is happening?

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

• 2 weeks later...

I am having the same issue. Is there a work around? I have images laid out in a particular arrangement on the desktop site so they are optimised for screen viewing.

I want the mobile site to have the images all full bleed with now gaps at all between them or at the sides, but when I alter the fit/fill option so the images are all aligned it changes everything on the desktop view.

From what I read on this topic it seems that is just the way the software operates...I hope not otherwise I am going to have to cancel my squarespace subscription and use a different platform.

thanks for any assistance

29 minutes ago, suna said:

fit/fill option

The mobile editor only allows you to make mobile-specific layout changes, fit/fill is a block property that when changed effects mobile and desktop. Generally speaking only changes to the position or blocks, size of the block, and alignment of the block can be different on desktop and mobile.

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

I understand thankyou.

I have managed to overcome it but have a new issue which doesn't seem possible to overcome without custom css code. as you have said the fit/fill option effects both. 

I am trying to have the mobile images full width with no background space visible between the images top and bottom. I have dragged them on the editor so they overlap slightly so I don;t have to alter the fit/fill option and affect the desktop view. However it looks fine on the editor but when I veiw it on mobile it has added in white space between some images top / bottom but not others. looks like some of the images that I have used fill option on the desktop site don't seem to have the gap but I can;t do that for all of them.

Is there some code or other way to overcome this?

website - studiosuna.uk

pass- website

thanks

I'm not sure what's causing that, what happens if you make the first image block 1 row taller in the mobile layout?

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very frustrating problem indeed.  Here is an example, a very simple task of making sure my footer looks ok / how i want it to look, but very difficult to execute. I think I have to adjust the text size to make it work. The compromises people have to make to make things look good on both desktop and mobile I think is what gets to people. 

Pictures:

1. My original footer on desktop view.

2. How the footer looks in mobile view.

3. So I made the change to make it look ok on mobile view.

4. How those changes now look on desktop view.

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 11.55.37 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 11.56.28 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 11.59.10 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 11.59.19 AM.png