How can I find the URL of my video?

6 hours ago, emizilla said:

I am trying to manually embed a video that I uploaded to Squarespace. I can see it in my Asset Library, but there is no URL. Does anyone know how I can find this URL?

The video does not have a URL but you can reuse a video you've uploaded to the Asset Library by choosing Select from library.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I am trying to make a video a clickable link, so I'm embedding it manually within a link. That's why I need the URL instead of the standard "Select from library" process.
Here's the html for you to take a look:

<a href="http://www.link.html">
<video autoplay loop muted>
  <source src="https://www.linktovideo.com" type="video/mp4">
  Your browser does not support the video tag.
</video></a>

So far everything is working except that I cannot find the URL to the video in my Asset Library. It's very frustrating...

6 minutes ago, emizilla said:

I need the URL instead of the standard "Select from library" process.

As I mentioned above, Squarespace do not provide a link to the original file on their video content distribution network. Instead these videos are streamed using a Blob URL that is only valid for the user's session.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...

Hey Emizilla,

I know this was back in February, so you probably already fixed the issue, but I found a suitable workaround. You can upload the video file to the custom files portion of your site when adding custom CSS. This is under Design > Custom CSS > Manage Custom Files. This will generate a static URL you can use.

Let me know if this helps!

Edited by Klop_Design
  • 8 months later...
On 5/31/2023 at 5:16 AM, Klop_Design said:

Hey Emizilla,

I know this was back in February, so you probably already fixed the issue, but I found a suitable workaround. You can upload the video file to the custom files portion of your site when adding custom CSS. This is under Design > Custom CSS > Manage Custom Files. This will generate a static URL you can use.

Let me know if this helps!

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH!!!!!! You have ended hours and hours of frustration and searching, thank you so so so much!