New to Squarespace dev and would like to know how to use dev tools with Squarespace (more info below*)

Typically I would open my browsers dev tools and find an element/CSS class that I want to edit inside my repo, then I would do something like copy and paste the class names in the dev tools into my VS Code search. This allows me to target any sport on my site with ease, however wehnI just tried this with 4 different elements/class', it did not work. What gives? Is all the styling on Squarespace on the backend only or something strange? 

I recall when I work with Shopify that I have to sometimes find things inside of the theme editor, is that the same for squarespace? Any info would help. Thanks.

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not familiar with DevTool in the context of repos (repository?) and VS Code (I assume Microsoft Visual Studio? ).

The answer is yes to is the CSS in the backend. However SS through the site editor allows you to inject CSS to override or add code.

To find where CSS is located I use the Elements panel, click on an element then use the Style panel to trace down where and what the code is.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Yes repo is repository and yes Visual Studio Code. You got it 😄

As for the CSS in the backend, yikes, this is scary. I need some standard web dev practices. I hope I do not have to rely on the editor too much. So far I am a little skeptical of SS, but I also disliked Shopify in many ways. But with Shopify the CSS you can see in dev tools, is the CSS you can find in the code base. So finding things to customize was doable, so far with SS I am a bit lost. So far it does not feel like web dev.

SS I am a bit lost. So far it does not feel like web dev.

I can understand your feelings. SS is not like other web development environments.

You may find my comments to another post of yours useful.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.