Jump to content

Pay-What-You-Want Concert

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Recommended Posts

  • Solution

This isn’t possible.

Squarespace doesn’t have a variable price type. You may want to look at ticketing platforms as some offer this feature. The only workarounds on Squarespace are to offer ‘price’ variants at several fixed prices, or to use the quantity to increase the price (20 x $1 = $20) but neither of these are ideal and they will prevent you tracking/controlling inventory. 

Edited by paul2009

About me: I'm Paul. A SQSP User for 18 yrs, I joined Circle when it launched in 2016 and have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing expertise and extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee fuels my work.

Book paid help with a Squarespace Domain

Link to comment
On 2/22/2023 at 11:31 PM, AnchSymphony said:

We are planning a Pay-What-You-Want concert. I am trying to set up ticket sales on our site and don't see how I can leave the price of an item blank for the buyer to input.

The simple, but not perfect way to do this is to set the price at $1 and then direct users to set the quantity to the price in dollars that they want to pay. So if you type in 25 to the quantity the total will be $25. This has to be done carefully as you don't necessarily want to be delivering 25 digital items, so may be better to add the product as a service, and then in the confirmation email add the ticket.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 
Hire me on Upwork!

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

 Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

Link to comment
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey Squarespace Team! The demand for sliding scale and equitable pricing models is only going to increase. Can your programmers help us to offer more inclusive options to our audiences without having to send them through a bunch of workarounds? Pretty please? 

Thank you for considering. -kate

Link to comment
On 4/16/2023 at 2:08 AM, katedgr8 said:

Hey Squarespace Team! The demand for sliding scale and equitable pricing models is only going to increase. Can your programmers help us to offer more inclusive options to our audiences without having to send them through a bunch of workarounds? Pretty please? 

Thank you for considering. -kate

This is a user forum, if you want to put in a feature request you will need to contact Squarespace Support.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 
Hire me on Upwork!

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

 Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

Link to comment
  • 1 year later...
On 2/23/2023 at 8:02 AM, paul2009 said:

This isn’t possible.

Squarespace doesn’t have a variable price type. You may want to look at ticketing platforms as some offer this feature. The only workarounds on Squarespace are to offer ‘price’ variants at several fixed prices, or to use the quantity to increase the price (20 x $1 = $20) but neither of these are ideal and they will prevent you tracking/controlling inventory. 

Hello there, I was wondering the same today, and discovered potentially an option within Stripe that allows you to 'to change amount', or am I completely missing a point somewhere that a transaction made on Squarespace stays within Squarespace?

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, LEFTW said:

discovered potentially an option within Stripe that allows you to 'to change amount', or am I completely missing a point somewhere that a transaction made on Squarespace stays within Squarespace?

Squarespace uses a subset of their payment processor partner's capabilities.

Selecting an option in stripe or PayPal does not necessarily translate into making a change in how Squarespace works.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Link to comment
3 minutes ago, creedon said:

Squarespace uses a subset of their payment processor partner's capabilities.

Selecting an option in stripe or PayPal does not necessarily translate into making a change in how Squarespace works.

Thanks Creedon, so can I check if I understood you correctly?... this means that if a purchaser can make a change in Stripe after following the link to pay from SS, and then proceeds to pay a different amount, the transaction won't work?  

Link to comment

If you are directing people directly to a link on stripe from your Squarespace site then the purchaser should be able to do anything you've set up settings wise.

If you are using Squarespace's e-commerce functionality (store page, cart page, and checkout page) and one of their payment processor partners then you will only be able to do what Squarespace allows you to do.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Link to comment
1 minute ago, creedon said:

If you are directing people directly to a link on stripe from your Squarespace site then the purchaser should be able to do anything you've set up settings wise.

If you are using Squarespace's e-commerce functionality (store page, cart page, and checkout page) and one of their payment processor partners then you will only be able to do what Squarespace allows you to do.

Ok, I understand. Thank you. Sighs...It seems like a real miss to not be able to offer this type of payment strategy directly within Squarespace. At present it's a near perfect purchase flow for customers to receive a 24hr secure link to a download, but misses off the sweet-spot for sellers being that buyers of digital music on average pay more than the asking price when offered. Hey ho! Thanks for your time. 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

×
×
  • Create New...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.