Redirecting urls from a former (different) domain to a new primary domain

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi Everyone! I have a question relating to redirects. 

I have a client who has a previous website on a previous domain (for example myoldwebiste.com) and now wants their new website to be on a new domain  (mynewwebsite.com). We need the previous website's page slugs to redirect to certain new website pages, so my question is:

If I have mynewwebsite.com as the primary domain, and then myoldwebsite.com as a secondary domain that points at the website, if I create redirects in the URL mappings section that use the slugs from the old website and map them to a new slug on the new website, will this work and successfully redirect them? 

I know if I just used identical slugs it would redirect to the right place anyway, but this isn't an option in some cases (i.e. where a rubbish slug was used on the old site, or where we want to redirect to a specific new/different landing page on the new site). 

I feel like this sounds obvious, and I am guessing it will work, but don't want to promise the client that until I am sure. 

Thanks so much 🙏

• Solution
23 minutes ago, JadeT said:

I have a client who has a previous website on a previous domain (for example myoldwebiste.com) and now wants their new website to be on a new domain  (mynewwebsite.com). We need the previous website's page slugs to redirect to certain new website pages...if I create redirects in the URL mappings section that use the slugs from the old website and map them to a new slug on the new website, will this work and successfully redirect them? 

Yes. If you have added mynewwebsite.com as the primary domain and you've added myoldwebsite.com as a secondary domain, you can redirect old page slugs to the new ones in Settings > Advanced > URL mappings.

For example, you can redirect myoldwebsite.com/myoldslug to mynewwebsite.com/mynewslug with the following:

/myoldslug -> /mynewslug 301

Does that make sense?

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 9 months later...