Add Text Block to gallery page?

I know similar questions have been asked, but I haven’t found any answers yet. I’m using the Wexley template. All I want to do is give this gallery a couple lines of text between it and the navigation.

Squarespace support’s answer was:

Since you’re using a Gallery Page, you can’t insert extra content blocks. You could alternatively use a regular page for your gallery and then use Gallery Blocks and Text Blocks to accomplish a similar look to your home page, but you’ll lose the design aspects of the template specific Gallery Page.

The only other way to accomplish this would be through CSS coding, which we don’t offer direct support for. You can try looking for some more guidance specific to your concern at answers.squarespace.com.

So here I am. Any ideas?

• Replies 14
  • Views 50.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Surprised again by the lack of meaningful support offered by Squarespace.

No phone support all. With the ticket email support, I feel like I'm talking to a bot whose just pasting answers from a script. And out of the last 20 questions asked on the forum, only 4 have replies.

If you're trying to do something a little beyond the normal user, good luck, you'll be on your own out here.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel your pain, but to be fair to Squarespace, they have given you a solid answer. You cannot add any extra elements to a gallery page. You can recreate the effect by creating a new simple page and adding first a text block, and second a gallery block.

So what happens if they don't look identical? Well you have to learn CSS.

Overall I don't think that's an unfair conclusion to your question. The consumer platform on Squarespace is designed for non-coders and you can achieve more with it than you can, arguably, with any other non-coder friendly platform.

That's how I see it at least.

The issue might be template-dependent. I've noticed on the Five template that I use on one of my sites, that there is a content header of sorts that can be used to insert a text block above the content on a page. I've used it to insert text to introduce a calendar page. I have not tried it on a gallery page. So it could be a matter of finding a template that implements the needed features.

@brianyhearne

Guess what? Turns out you can add a text block to the top of a gallery page.

Take a look - www.dcbryan.com/travel/

In order to do this, I had to flip my site into developer mode. I understand SS doesn't offer support for this, but they should at least understand what'd possible using dev mode.

I'd have much preferred the answer - Yes it is possible but it will require custom coding which we can't help you with.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Part of the problem is that the instructions SS provides are often flat-out incorrect. I wanted to move a text block on my home page. The SS instructions say:

"Step 1 - Move BlocksHover over the block you want to move. Your cursor will turn into a hand.Then, click and drag the block to move it around the page."

This simply does not work. If you're not going to have solid customer service, you need to make damn sure that your instructions are accurate.

Why would I pay for this product? It's been incredibly diffiucult to use this site, and that's just for the DEMO. What happens when I have a problem with a live site?

Hi Brian,

I'm trying to add a text block and an audio block at the top of a gallery but can't really code it on my own. Would you mind to share the code you used?

Thanks!

ps: very nice pictures on your page :)

Pierrehttp://www.itineraire-bis.com/

• 1 month later...

I'm still getting a ton of traffic from this page, and often get emails asking from people asking me to help.. My solution was to hire a Squarespace developer and have him take care of it for me. Your site will have to run in developer mode and there is custom coding involved. Sorry I can't be more help. Good luck.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived