Download video files from asset library/website

Hello! I am currently building out an updated website for a client who is migrating from 7.0 to 7.1. This involves the transfer of several image and video galleries. While the image files and embedded videos streamed from youtube etc. are no problem, it does not seem possible to download video/mp4 files from the asset library/current website. It will save a lot of time for my client if I can access these video files directly. Does anybody know if I'm missing something or is there a workaround for this? Many thanks.

We currently don't have that functionality as far as I'm aware, the asset library is pretty new, and will undoubtedly get more functionality in time.

There are a number of Chrome extensions that could help with downloading images/videos for pages, not sure about all from a website, but the sitemap could help.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 7:50 AM, SourceProjects said:

Thanks for your input Ziggy! You're right - I was onto SS support and they confirmed that you can't download videos from the asset library and the original files must be found elsewhere... Will see if I can find a solution through a Chrome extension though! 

Did you find a good extension? I'm migrating to Shopify due to lack of features Squarespace offers (this being one of them) and need to download videos I uploaded 7 or 8 months ago.

Edited by merrittman
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2023 at 10:40 PM, merrittman said:

Did you find a good extension? I'm migrating to Shopify due to lack of features Squarespace offers (this being one of them) and need to download videos I uploaded 7 or 8 months ago.

Hello, no I'm afraid I didn't find a solution for this... Hopefully the Squarespace team develop the asset library features in future. I am finding the folders for image organisation very useful in the meantime! 

On 2/15/2023 at 2:06 PM, Ziggy said:

We currently don't have that functionality as far as I'm aware, the asset library is pretty new, and will undoubtedly get more functionality in time.

There are a number of Chrome extensions that could help with downloading images/videos for pages, not sure about all from a website, but the sitemap could help.

When can we expect to see some changes?

12 hours ago, erosedges said:

When can we expect to see some changes?

Will this help? also please note that the downloaded images are not the origin files, since Squarespace has been made some compression to your images, but the code will try to download the max images size at 2500px...

BeyondSpace - Squarespace Website Developer

🖼️ Lightbox Studio (Enable Pinch/Zoom on lightbox)
🗓️ Delivery Date Picker (Squarespace Date picker form field)
💫 Gallery block 7.1 workaround
🥳 Sparkplugin Customisations Browsers (Browse +100 Spark plugin customisations)
🥳 Elfsight Template Browsers (Browse +1000 Elfsight widget Templates)

If you find my answer useful, let's leave a like or upvote so others with the same issue can find their solution. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I ran into the same issue and was able to download the video using a command-line tool called yt-dlp. Once the tool is installed, you need to get the URL of the m3u8 file (with Developer Tools in Chrome opened, navigate to the File Details page for the video and search for "playlist.m3u8" in the Network tab).

copym3u8url.thumb.png.19086d2fa9e591a0e0a69ebf0253e37c.png

To download the video, enter the following command: 

yt-dlp [INSERT THE PLAYLIST.m3u8 URL HERE]

I couldn't open the downloaded mp4 file with QuickTime or Adobe Premiere Pro, so I converted the mp4 file to m4v using VLC.

convertusingvlc.png.37100e34d1f5837e4401f5913df75420.png

Edited by alau
add link