Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hello,

I am a photographer and just built a new website on SquareSpace.
But in my shop page, where I sell posters, I can only choose one display (aspect ratio) for every article, where I'd like to customize it for each product depending on whether it's a portrait picture or landscape one or square one and so on... And same thing once you clicked on the article to show the details, if you change the aspect ratio for one article it applies to every article...

To show you an example you can check this page https://www.evanranft.com/store from Evan Ranft, where there are vertical, horizontal and square products, all displayed entirely and not cropped because of the ratio.

I hope it's clear enough and that someone will be able to help !

Thank you in advance !

Link to comment
On 2/9/2023 at 6:44 AM, tsampso12 said:

I am a photographer and just built a new website on SquareSpace.
But in my shop page, where I sell posters, I can only choose one display (aspect ratio) for every article, where I'd like to customize it for each product depending on whether it's a portrait picture or landscape one or square one and so on.

Please take a look at the guide I wrote here:

Product image aspect ratios on Squarespace 7.1

If you experience any issues getting this to work on your Squarespace 7.1 website (this is for v7.1 sites only) please post back with details of your site - including a link to the page, and a screenshot.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I'm Paul. A SQSP User for 18 yrs, I joined Circle when it launched in 2016 and have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: Founder of SF.DIGITAL, providing expertise and extensions to supercharge your Squarespace website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to my own SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee fuels my work.

Book paid help with a Squarespace Domain

Link to comment
On 2/14/2023 at 5:36 AM, paul2009 said:

Please take a look at the guide I wrote here:

Product image aspect ratios on Squarespace 7.1

If you experience any issues getting this to work on your Squarespace 7.1 website (this is for v7.1 sites only) please post back with details of your site - including a link to the page, and a screenshot.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Great article, thanks! I will definitely use for other projects but for my current project I'm having the same issue but with a slideshow gallery. I see in the code the aspect ratio is assigned as null. How can I get both portrait and landscape images to appear properly?

URL: https://butterfly-sapphire-tkd2.squarespace.com/

PW: brineintopedro

Link to comment
On 2/16/2023 at 1:39 AM, E-W said:

Great article, thanks! I will definitely use for other projects but for my current project I'm having the same issue but with a slideshow gallery. I see in the code the aspect ratio is assigned as null. How can I get both portrait and landscape images to appear properly?

URL: https://butterfly-sapphire-tkd2.squarespace.com/

PW: brineintopedro

Try adding to Design > Custom CSS

body.homepage .slide img {
    width: 100% !important;
    height: auto !important;
    left: 0 !important;
    top: 0 !important;
}

 

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

Link to comment
11 hours ago, tuanphan said:

Try adding to Design > Custom CSS

body.homepage .slide img {
    width: 100% !important;
    height: auto !important;
    left: 0 !important;
    top: 0 !important;
}

 

Awesome! Thanks! This fixed the portrait images, but is it possible to target the portrait images only?

Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

body.homepage .slide img {
    width: 100% !important;
    height: auto !important;
    left: 0 !important;
    top: 0 !important;
}

I already have a shop showing only vertical format products, and it works fine with a few CSS tweaks I found on the forums.

However I am trying to set up an additional shop page, for landscape aspect ratio products, which I have been fighting with for some time. Don't get me started on why this isn't built into SS!!!  

Anyway I tried this code (above) for the new shop page with the thumbnails, and its pretty close, which ia great step forward. The only problem is that landscape pictures have a large blank space below the image and above the description. I can see what that is, as my my current spec ratio for my shop is Vertical 2:3 format. So my question, is there an extra piece of code that will remove this bank space and bring the description directly below the product?

I have added two screenshots to show the 2 shop pages. The vertical shop is fine, the landscape shop screenshot has red circles to indicate the blank space.

My website is here --- https://nostalgique.com.au/places

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Damien

Vertical Shop.jpg

Landscape Shop.jpg

Link to comment

Sorry, forgot to post this in my post above.

This is how I have used the CSS code snippet in the landscape gallery which produces the blank areas...

.products.collection-content-wrapper .grid-item .grid-image-cover {
    width: 100% !important;
    height: auto !important;
    left: 0 !important;
    top: 0 !important;
}

Link to comment
On 4/19/2023 at 7:02 AM, Nostalgique said:

Hi @tuanphan,

Thought I would see if you had any thoughts on how to address this problem? 

Cheers,
Damien

 

 

Add to Design > Custom CSS

.grid-image-wrapper {
    padding-bottom: 75% !important;
}

 

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

×
×
  • Create New...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.