Site title and description NOT updating on google

hello, 

I have recently revamped my entire website, created new pages, changed its title and description.

And even though the changes have been saved and appear on squarespace, when i try and google my website and navigate on it, non of the changes in titles, description etc. have been applied.

Anyone knows what could be happening? 

Thanks a lot in advance,

Cheers!

Hi @cle - I've added some suggestions below:

• Have you submitted your sitemap to Google and set up Google Search Console correctly? If you're unsure, check out this video (it also includes the 4 most common mistakes I see when a site isn't on Google/showing incorrectly): 
  • Have you followed best practices with your titles and meta descriptions? SEO titles should be 50-60 characters, and meta descriptions should be 150-160 characters
  • Does each page have enough high-quality content? Why would Google index you correctly if you haven't provided enough value on each page? Ensure you have at least 300 words on every page.
  • Do you have backlinks? Most Squarespace websites have no backlinks - these are links from another webpage to yours and show Google that you're worth putting on its web pages.

Sometimes these things take time, so once you've made the above changes, time is likely the only thing needed.

Henry Purchase

Founder of SEOSpace - the SEO plugin for Squarespace.

Get a Free Squarespace SEO Audit: https://www.seospace.co.uk/squarespace-seo-audit-score

image.png.f2cf8f5bd8cb76803cb561be0b303142.png

• 4 months later...

Hey y'all,

So I'm an SEO working on my brothers site and can't figure out why every page on my SquareSpace site gets indexed within Google Search Console EXCEPT for the primary https version of the homepage. Every time I try live testing it or manually requesting an index, it returns a soft 404 and GSC say's it fails the test. I'm really not sure what other options I have here or how to fix this so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Screenshot 2023-06-12 at 4.59.07 PM.png

Hello! 

Have published my page built on SS and hosted from 3rd party IONOS - and whilst the website shows up on bing, it doesn't on google. I went through steps with google console and the URL is not available to google saying it's a soft 404. I really don't understand what I need to do to rectify this - can someone suggest a way to solve this in simple language please? 

Many thanks

Jude 

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 10.31.24.png

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 10.31.30.png

Hi @BillyMizrahi @JudeCov - thanks for reaching out!

One of the most common reasons for 404s is something called thin content.

If your web pages don't have enough content (usually >300) and don't provide enough value, then Google is unlikely to put them on its search engine.

You can see my plugin has identified a few issues on your homepages and you have thin content - i.e. you don't have enough content, so Google doesn't know what to rank you for.

I recommend adding an FAQ and a few paragraphs explaining your business. Additionally, your homepage doesn't have an H1 and your meta description should be 150-160 characters long @JudeCov.

@BillyMizrahi - you should add content about why you're a top real estate photographer and answer the most commonly asked questions by your customers on your homepage.

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 17.31.46.png

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 17.30.47.png

Henry Purchase

Get a Free Squarespace SEO Audit: https://www.seospace.co.uk/squarespace-seo-audit-score

23 hours ago, SEOSpace_Henry said:

Hi @BillyMizrahi @JudeCov - thanks for reaching out!

One of the most common reasons for 404s is something called thin content.

If your web pages don't have enough content (usually >300) and don't provide enough value, then Google is unlikely to put them on its search engine.

You can see my plugin has identified a few issues on your homepages and you have thin content - i.e. you don't have enough content, so Google doesn't know what to rank you for.

I recommend adding an FAQ and a few paragraphs explaining your business. Additionally, your homepage doesn't have an H1 and your meta description should be 150-160 characters long @JudeCov.

@BillyMizrahi - you should add content about why you're a top real estate photographer and answer the most commonly asked questions by your customers on your homepage.

Screenshot 2023-06-22 at 17.31.46.pngHey @SEOSpace_Henry I don't think that is true at all. There is enough content on page that it should be indexable and not soft 404 in GSC. Look at this screenshot to show that there is clearly something with the backend code for this template that is blocking it to google.

Hey @SEOSpace_Henry I don't think that is true at all. There is enough content on page that it should be indexable and not soft 404 in GSC. Look at this screenshot to show that there is clearly something with the backend code for this template that is blocking it to google.

SEO SBM.png

Also what is this expiry date?

Lastly, looking at this third image, another weird thing - they're blocking the googlebot user agent without JS enabled. is this just a user-agent issue?

SEO SMB 2.png

SEO SBM 3.png

Edited by BillyMizrahi
23 hours ago, BillyMizrahi said:

Hey @SEOSpace_Henry I don't think that is true at all. There is enough content on page that it should be indexable and not soft 404 in GSC. Look at this screenshot to show that there is clearly something with the backend code for this template that is blocking it to google.

SEO SBM.png

Also what is this expiry date?

Lastly, looking at this third image, another weird thing - they're blocking the googlebot user agent without JS enabled. is this just a user-agent issue?

SEO SMB 2.png

SEO SBM 3.png

I would need GSC access to understand exactly what is going on with the above - this might be the issue @BillyMizrahi

In my experience, you don't have enough content or value on your site to be indexed on Google. Adding content and a sitemap in your footer would be the first thing I'd try alongside exploring GSC dashboard.

Henry Purchase

On 6/24/2023 at 11:29 AM, SEOSpace_Henry said:

I would need GSC access to understand exactly what is going on with the above - this might be the issue @BillyMizrahi

In my experience, you don't have enough content or value on your site to be indexed on Google. Adding content and a sitemap in your footer would be the first thing I'd try alongside exploring GSC dashboard.

@SEOSpace_Henry Would be willing to walk me through GSC and we can trouble shoot this issue. I have a feeling it's an issue with out the SquareSpace template is rendering content on site.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2023 at 5:08 PM, SEOSpace_Henry said:

I would certainly be happy to @BillyMizrahi, but only after additional content has been added to the website, as even if there is a rendering issue that you can fix, I believe thin content will still hold you back.

The home page has 2 sentences of text, are you saying that's not enough? 

5 hours ago, BillyMizrahi said:

The home page has 2 sentences of text, are you saying that's not enough? 

No, not at all. 

I recommend at least 300 words and enough quality on every page of your website - you can find this advice in many well-respected sources too: https://yoast.com/what-is-thin-content/

Henry Purchase

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/8/2023 at 10:37 AM, cle said:

hello, 

I have recently revamped my entire website, created new pages, changed its title and description.

And even though the changes have been saved and appear on squarespace, when i try and google my website and navigate on it, non of the changes in titles, description etc. have been applied.

Anyone knows what could be happening? 

Thanks a lot in advance,

Cheers!

Hi - I’m having a similar issue. I wonder if you got this sorted? Thanks! 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am having the same issue. The changes have been saved and appear on squarespace, when i try and google my website and navigate on it, non of the changes in titles, description etc. have been applied.

I also changed the SEO appearance (specifically "TITLE" but it does not reflect on the google search. 

After making changes, do I have to request index in google search console and wait 72 hours for the changes to show?