Trying to Switch Templates in 7.1

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hey! I'm currently building my wedding website on Squarespace. I have already purchased my domain and had pre-selected a template to play with prior to getting my subscription. Now that I've purchased my subscription/plan/domain, I'm seeing that I can't really go back and change my template to one of the other templates offered? It seems as though this is supposed to be a feature of the new builder. Does anyone know any workarounds to reset the template entirely and pick another? I'm trying to use the basic framework of this template. Any helpful input is welcomed. Thanks in advance! 

I'm currently trying to do the same thing - and yes, it should be a feature but there's no option to change the template under design.. I feel a bit like I'm losing my mind1994599016_ScreenShot2023-02-08at4_03_05PM.thumb.png.abb6342b6906be85a73c1cf9b6a51c11.png...... following for suggestions???

Edited by liaumls
wanted to add an image
  • Solution
On 2/8/2023 at 2:47 AM, carleycullen said:

Does anyone know any workarounds to reset the template entirely and pick another?

In previous versions of Squarespace there were many different template 'families', each with with their own advantages and challenges. Each had different features.

On Squarespace 7.1, there are over one named designs to choose from but they all use the same template and so all have the same features. They only differ in the demo content that has been created and the way a designer has styled them using different colours, fonts and options.

As they all share a common feature set (a single 'template') Squarespace doesn't have a way to swap from one initial design to another. You can reset the template's style tweaks to their original colours, fonts and other styles in the Site Styles panel, but you cannot reset demo content.

I appreciate this isn't what you want to hear but please bear in mind that this is a 'peer-to-peer' forum where Squarespace users help other users. Squarespace doesn’t use this forum to track feedback or requests (see the guidelines - item 7). To make a feature request and ensure it is seen by the right people at Squarespace, you can do so via Squarespace Customer Support using a support ticket. Circle members can go here.

Regarding your specific issue, you can start again with new demo content and a different design by starting a new website trial. As you've already paid for a website subscription you will need to cancel this and subscribe again on your new site. You can then use this form to request a prorated refund from Squarespace Customer Support.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

prepaid for a  one year subscription and built a site using a Squarespace template.  I didn't like how it came out so I built a new site from scratch using a template. This new 2nd site was built as a trial same as the first and the trial period has ended  . I'm very happy with this new site however I can't find how I can transfer my existing Squarespace subscription to this new website. Lastly I haven't published either site. Please advise.

Vito

Edited by vito_desario_woodturning
11 hours ago, vito_desario_woodturning said:

I can't find how I can transfer my existing Squarespace subscription to this new website.

Website subscriptions cannot be moved from one site to another. You will need to cancel your original subscription and then subscribe again on your new site. You can then use this form to contact Squarespace Customer Care to request a prorated refund for switching sites.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

7 hours ago, vito_desario_woodturning said:

There's no one to contact other than this Squarespace bot

This is not true. If you click the link that I provided above, it should take you directly to a ‘refund request’ form for you to complete.

• 7 months later...

Hi.

Me and my partner just started designing a new website for our company using a template ("Nolan"). We just paid the annual subscription 4 days ago but we just have found a complete new template ("Cadere") that looks perfect for our business that we'd like to use. The problem is that we can't switch templates in version 7.1 (?). We are stuck with the starting template ("Nolan").

Do we have to manually modify every section and change all the settings (fonts, colors, etc.) of the old template in order to replicate the look of the new template we'd like to use?  Can't we just use/tranfer the annual subscription we just paid and start again with the new template? We haven't even published the website.

I don't know if we are missing something, but switching between themes/templates should be very simple and is a must-have feature.

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Squarespace in version 7.1 has different starting points, but they aren't really templates, and they are not changeable after initial selection. All of the "templates" are built from a font pack and colour theme, presented with pre-build pages/sections, this is all available to change in the style settings and when adding new pages and sections, this has to be done manually. 

There's nothing stopping you from cancelling your plan and starting a new website with the "template" that you want, but there's a lot of work involved with putting all of your content into a blank design.

If you do cancel, make sure to talk to Squarespace support as a refund is not guaranteed.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

Same problem here. It's incredibly frustrating.

I can't believe there is no option/feature for switching between templates. We found a template we liked, we paid for an annual subscription and 3 days later we found a better template. But now we can't change the template and we are stuck with the starting one, and the only solution is to manually change all the template's settings (fonts, colors, blocks, etc.) to replicate the other template, really? So, once you have paid a subscription, it is not possible to start a new site with a new template and move the current subscription to the new site (?) So, cancelling the subscription and starting a new trial site is the only option? Really?

Nowhere in Squarespace's "commercial" website says that we can't change templates. It's hard to believe such a simple task (switching between templates) cannot be done without cancelling the current subscription.

"We designed version 7.1 to eliminate the need to switch templates."
Sorry, but the need to switch templates is very real. Clients are allowed to change their minds. What's the point in offering so many templates then?

3 hours ago, Ziggy said:

Squarespace in version 7.1 has different starting points, but they aren't really templates, and they are not changeable after initial selection. All of the "templates" are built from a font pack and colour theme, presented with pre-build pages/sections, this is all available to change in the style settings and when adding new pages and sections, this has to be done manually. 

There's nothing stopping you from cancelling your plan and starting a new website with the "template" that you want, but there's a lot of work involved with putting all of your content into a blank design.

If you do cancel, make sure to talk to Squarespace support as a refund is not guaranteed.

I don't understand. They are called templates on the website. They are not called "starting points". And nowhere on the 'commercial' website states that "they are not changeable after initial selection". Squarespace attracts a lot of new clients with these templates because they offer different pre-build designs that clients can browse and choose from (classified also by type and by topic). Templates are a huge part of the CMS market and switching between templates is a very common feature.

CMS apps automate the design, formatting and publishing process, that's **exactly** why they are built for, to save us time, but now it seems Squarespace has decided to make things harder, not easier. So, in 7.1, once we have paid for a subscription we are stuck with a template that we cannot switch, and the only choice is (A) to manually modify all the template's settings (fonts, colors, pages, sections, blocks, margins, etc.) in order to change the design instead of letting us switching between templates (like in 7.0.); or (B) start all over again by cancelling the subscription and risk losing the subscription money we just paid five days ago (a big no-no guys) just because we want to use a new template? A new template that you offer for free? Cancelling the subscription is a very drastic option, and the possible financial outcome - losing our money and having to pay for a new subscription - seems abusive.

This is a big step back, someone didn't think this through IMO.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"We automatically issue a full refund for annual website subscriptions canceled within 14 days of purchase."

We are cancelling our subscription and honestly, we are seriously considering if we continue or not with Squarespace. There was really no need to make it this difficult... All these trouble just because we now like another template more (only three days later) and we just want to start with a different template for our website. Really?

We paid for the annual subscription only four days ago, so we are entitled to a refund.

Edited by elite_contributor
  • 1 month later...

I built many sites in the past here and if I am not mistaken squarepace ruined the entire platform with the latest version(s) by not allowing changing template designs after subscribing? That is absolutely insane I must add.  I built a quick site for my son's photography and I am not unhappy with the template overall I am very unhappy about the terrible resizing limit on the photos. The site is oregonlifephotography.com and when one looks at the pics on the phone the pics do not enlarge much if at all.  This is not good for a photography site so I was exploring if another template was better then I see this BS.   I did however duplcate the site as a demo but I still cannot see how to change the template on it.  Squarespace please fix this issue because this is so backwards compared to the old site functions.

24 minutes ago, learnbend said:

I built a quick site for my son's photography and...I am very unhappy about the terrible resizing limit on the photos. This is not good for a photography site so I was exploring if another template was better.

You've built the site on the latest version of Squarespace (7.1) which has all the latest features and they are common to all the designs. I agree that it would be helpful to be able to swap to a different design but the features and limitations would be exactly the same. If there's a technical limitation, it would remain.

Can you explain the issue in a little more detail? We (the community) may have suggestions to make things better? Screenshots and videos (Loom is great for videos) can really help us to understand the issue.

13 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

You've built the site on the latest version of Squarespace (7.1) which has all the latest features and they are common to all the designs. I agree that it would be helpful to be able to swap to a different design but the features and limitations would be exactly the same. If there's a technical limitation, it would remain.

Can you explain the issue in a little more detail? We (the community) may have suggestions to make things better? Screenshots and videos (Loom is great for videos) can really help us to understand the issue.

This is the issue with the template I used on mobile. https://imgur.com/a/7SxYZnE  As you can see the images just do not enlarge. Very odd for a photography site. 

Honestly instead of figuring out a tech workaround I would just be happy swapping to this template 

https://www.squarespace.com/templates/elliott-fluid-demo so do I have to contact you guys ...request a refund or can someone in tech support just switch me over and I can clean it up from there?

IMG_9420.PNG

IMG_9421.PNG

This is a v7.1 site as well. All v7.1 sites have the same features, or lack of. In other words any v7.1 can be made to look/work like any other v7.1 with the right settings.

so do I have to contact you guys

We are forum members here, like yourself. We don't work for Squarespace. We volunteer our time to help others on the forum.

Squarespace does not officially provide support on this forum. Please see item seven on the forum guidelines.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 1 month later...

I've hit a frustrating roadblock trying to switch templates, only to find out that this basic feature is inexplicably missing in version 7.1. Here's the rundown: I started with a free trial, got the inevitable expiration email, and then signed up for a personal subscription. That's when I stumbled into a major snag—somehow I ended up with a template I can't stand. Was it my mistake, or is the system just that unintuitive?

After wasting time trying to figure it out and diving into the documentation, it turns out that switching templates isn't even an option. All I wanted was to link my trial site to the domain I paid for with my subscription. But according to customer support, templates are just for show, not actual use, unless you miraculously manage to choose the right one during your trial.

This is absurd. Templates are supposed to be a feature, not a decoration. I'm asking for a solution here, not just a workaround. Prove me wrong and show me there's a real fix to this mess.

On 2/8/2023 at 1:07 AM, paul2009 said:
On 2/8/2023 at 1:07 AM, paul2009 said:

In previous versions of Squarespace there were many different template 'families', each with with their own advantages and challenges. Each had different features.

On Squarespace 7.1, there are over one named designs to choose from but they all use the same template and so all have the same features. They only differ in the demo content that has been created and the way a designer has styled them using different colours, fonts and options.

As they all share a common feature set (a single 'template') Squarespace doesn't have a way to swap from one initial design to another. You can reset the template's style tweaks to their original colours, fonts and other styles in the Site Styles panel, but you cannot reset demo content.

I appreciate this isn't what you want to hear but please bear in mind that this is a 'peer-to-peer' forum where Squarespace users help other users. Squarespace doesn’t use this forum to track feedback or requests (see the guidelines - item 7). To make a feature request and ensure it is seen by the right people at Squarespace, you can do so via Squarespace Customer Support using a support ticket. Circle members can go here.

Regarding your specific issue, you can start again with new demo content and a different design by starting a new website trial. As you've already paid for a website subscription you will need to cancel this and subscribe again on your new site. You can then use this form to request a prorated refund from Squarespace Customer Support.

So is there a way start from scratch? I've deleted everything but the hompage, but then when I add i.e a blog it is still styled in the original ugly theme. 

7 minutes ago, TemplateSwitcher said:

So is there a way start from scratch?

I wish I had better news for you but the only way to start from scratch right now is to start a new trial on the "template" that you like. If you have a site on a paid billing plan it must be cancelled and a new billing plan started when you're ready. 

2 hours ago, paul2009 said:

I wish I had better news for you but the only way to start from scratch right now is to start a new trial on the "template" that you like. If you have a site on a paid billing plan it must be cancelled and a new billing plan started when you're ready. 

Thank you so much Paul. Great information! That's actually what I did. And thanks for the link to the refund page. I hope I will receive a refund since it said on the Billing Site that refunds are not available for monthly subscriptions, only for annual ones.

• 3 weeks later...

A friend with a Squarespace site wants to refresh their site with a new theme/template but couldn't figure out how to do that. I volunteered to investigate the issue for them, which led me here. I'm flabbergasted to find that it's really not possible and the only way to refresh the design of a site is to cancel the whole account and start a new one. Even if you wanted to go to the trouble of manually changing all the things, it appears there's no option to do it in a staging area and push it live once it's ready. You'd have to either do it live where everyone will see it as you're working on it or shut your whole site completely down until you're finished. Unbelievable. I can only assume that this is some kind of cost-savings measure on the part of Squarespace, possibly to minimize man-hours spent by their team, because, from a UX perspective, it sure seems exceptionally bone-headed. 

And, while I'm ranting, what's going on with the versioning system? They push the biggest change to the system in years but instead of incrementing the major version number they increment the minor version? Going from 7.0 to 7.1 implies a feature update, maybe some bug fixes, and that backwards-compatibility has been maintained. A massive change like this which is incompatible with the old system should require a major version change; this should be 8.0, not 7.1. Some really perplexing decisions from Squarespace here.