Index pages and SEO

Hi all,

Just a quick question, I have been building pages using the index function but it has just dawned on me that if I now turn off the pages for SEO so you can't find the sections individually then that index page wont have any content to rank.

Am I right in thinking that each individual section would rank individually?

Does the Index structure allow for the content within to be ranked as one big page?

Thanks for any help.

• 1 month later...

Google does not rank a page on individual sections. Google evaluates all of the content on a page in context and then determines based on that content whether or not it would be related to any queries that someone makes.  Sometimes this is done on the fly using Rank Brain. But in general, it keeps the content in an index and evaluates it as a page - not as page sections. 

You can hide sections of pages from search engines and in some cases this might be appropriate, for instance if those sections have private information on them. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I've built most of my site around a structure of index pages and sub-pages. I've been told today by SS support that index pages don't rank for the keywords in the sub-pages, and that it's just the subpages that can rank.

If correct, that means 2 things - firstly, there's not enough content on each of my subpages for Google to read and rank it effectively, and secondly, I'm not able to hide the sub-pages from Google and just feed the keyword impact up to the over-arching index page, as I'd planned.

I guess my question is, does anyone have a definitive idea of whether SS support is correct? I've read things to suggest they're wrong, and God knows SS customer service reps don't really have any idea about this sort of thing right out the gate, so I'm hopeful that I've been misinformed and I won't have to just rebuild my site.

For reference, my site is www.fullfocusweddings.com

Edited by TheMurph