Manually Approve Customer/Member Registration

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi,

I am making a basic site to sell my products to wholesale customers only.

The website has all the general information about my company but I want the Sales page to require a customer login and I want to approve the customer before they are granted access so I can confirm they meet the requirements to stock my products.

If I create a Members Area then anyone who signs up would be able to access my sales page which I don't want, they need to be manually verified first.

Is there a way I can put the commerce page behind a login screen and also have that login integrate with Squarespace commerce so the customer would see all of their past orders and I can see the analytics.

I've looked at services like SentryLogin but that would mean customers log in to see the Sales page and then have to log in separately at checkout to access Squarespace, which would work to some degree but isn't very streamlined.

Thanks

• Solution
On 1/30/2023 at 7:56 AM, JohnVPB said:

I want to approve the customer before they are granted access so I can confirm they meet the requirements to stock my products.

If I create a Members Area then anyone who signs up would be able to access my sales page which I don't want, they need to be manually verified first.

As I've posted previously, Squarespace do not yet provide a way to approve members and this doesn't seem to be high on their priority list. There are some workarounds which, whilst they aren't 100% effective and I wouldn't recommend them to protect personal or private information, may be enough for your situation to hide a store page and the products it contains. It would certainly offer significantly more protection than any third party products like SentryLogin and MemberSpace as these don't provide any real protection for Squarespace content.

If you are a Circle member, you can vote here: Require approval of members to join Member Sites.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
Added link

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @JohnVPB I am looking for a similar solution, have you had any luck? What is the most streamlined solution you have found?

- I have a site in square space. 

- I want to create a members area where my customers can see 25-30 products (only when they are logged in). 

- I would like to create a username and password for all of my customers by doing a bulk upload csv to generate the usernames and passwords,  and send this out to them as I launch this part of the site.

- in the members area, I would like a basic info page and then if the customer wants to order a product, instead of adding to cart and paying online, I would just like them to express an interest in ordering which generates an email (after which point we will get back In touch)

Someone recommended woo commerce may be the way to go here.

I don't necesarily need an e-commerce solution, but just the ability to 'express an interest' in one of more products - so effectively it could work like an add to basket functionality.

The other consideration for me to make, is that I would then like to replicate this in 4 other locations (each location will offer the same product, but the products will be listed in different currencies and have different prices) 

Thanks 

• 3 months later...

I have a client who would like to have a resource hub for members of their organization and assign accounts with passwords to each user. This is a "free" service to anyone who is part of the organization, but they do not want it to be open to anyone who comes across the URL to sign up and gain access for free.

What would be the best way to set this up?

49 minutes ago, NudgeForwardCo said:

I have a client who would like to have a resource hub for members of their organization and assign accounts with passwords to each user...but they do not want it to be open to anyone who comes across the URL to sign up and gain access for free.

It isn't currently possible to do this securely because there isn’t a feature that allows you to approve members. Anyone can join if they know the 'join' link so you'll need to weight up the risks and determine how private this area needs to be.

I've been advocating for this to be fixed since 2020 but it hasn't made it sufficiently up the priority list yet. For more information, see my guide to the top limitations of Member Areas.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.