Asset Library is a Big Problem When Using the Duplicate Website Feature

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

This week I used the "Duplicate Website" option on an existing website build to create a quick new website for a client on a budget.

The duplicate website function worked great, the new build was easy, and the client loves it.

I was just about to hand over the new website to the new client, and happened to check the "Asset Library NEW" section.

I'm so glad I did, because the Asset Library contained not only the images from the new build, but *thousands* of images from the original client website that was duplicated.

Obviously I can't deliver a new website to a client that has *thousands* of another client's images.

I tried to delete the images, however the Asset Library interface is has terrible lag, and freezes up with error messages every time I try delete an image, and completely crashes if I try to delete several images at the same time. This problem occurs regardless of which browser I am using, Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

I now have *thousands* of images to delete manually.

My only option is to rebuild a new site from scratch for the new client.

In this case, the new Asset Library section has been a terrible waste of time for me.

Asset Library should be an *option* for users to turn off or delete when needed. 

• Solution
37 minutes ago, MarkVerlander said:

This week I used the "Duplicate Website" option on an existing website build to create a quick new website for a client on a budget. The Asset Library contained not only the images from the new build, but *thousands* of images from the original client website that was duplicated.

When you use the Duplicate Website feature, it makes a copy of the site that includes pages, sections, layouts, and blocks including text and images content (except stock images) from the original site. The Asset Library is not an independent area of file storage so, if any (non-stock) images were added to the original website before you duplicated it, these same images will be duplicated and in both the Asset Library and in on-page content.This is a good reminder for anyone else planning to make a template for reuse. A good first step is to make an initial "master copy" first and then check this carefully before duplicating it further.

Things to check include:

• Assets in the Asset Library
  • Code in Code Injection areas
  • Copyrighted text content (throughout the site)
  • Language & region settings
  • Site title and logo
  • Site Styles, including brand colours and font choices

37 minutes ago, MarkVerlander said:

I tried to delete the images, however the Asset Library interface is has terrible lag, and freezes up with error messages every time I try delete an image, and completely crashes if I try to delete several images at the same time.

If you are experiencing a performance issue with the Asset Library then please contact Squarespace Customer Care directly for assistance. If they provide you with a solution or workaround, please post it here for the benefit of other users. 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks for the quick response Paul and the helpful advice.

Makes sense, and unfortunately a very time consuming lesson for me.

I tried duplicating the new website I just made, hoping that only the images used in the new site would be transferred in to new Asset Library. However, the *thousands* of images from the original site still transferred, even though they are not in use.

This seems like something that Squarespace could program a fix for.

As well as the Asset Library function lag, error messages and crashes. 

Not a fan of the new Asset Library feature in it's current state.

Edited by MarkVerlander
Typo