Thumbnail look horrible...

If you use the video block, you can add a custom thumbnail, it's in the video block settings.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

• 3 weeks later...

Is there any other way to figure this out? I'm having the same problem. Since I have about 12 videos to include, I can't upload them all since SQSP only allows a total of 30m of uploaded video. So I'm stuck with the horrible thumbnails from Vimeo. Why would they take away the custom thumbnail option, aaargh?!

1 hour ago, VeeBee said:

custom thumbnail option

It's still available as far as I can tell:

image.png.fb09b7e2d590c3ea382819fa70a351f3.png

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

@Ziggy Thanks for responding! The custom thumbnail option is only available if you upload videos using the video block. I wanted to bring in videos and associated thumbnails from Vimeo using just the video link, not actually uploading the video. Squarespace responded and acknowledged that they're having a problem site-wide with those thumbnails. 

Strange, that's not my experience in testing, I can put in a custom thumbnail no matter how I put the video into a block, YouTube link works, Vimeo link works, upload works. I'm sorry it isn't for you.

image.png.e0f262ae1c5bd79c56d5cd5a3f92b772.png

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

• 1 month later...

@VeeBee I too was having this issue. If you click "add section" and then scroll to video, and choose one of the block options, it then allows you to link a Vimeo video and add a custom thumbnail. Trying to add a video from the + on the side bar will only allow custom thumbnails for video directly uploaded to SquareSpace. Add a section and then add a video block and try to link your Vimeo video and custom thumbnail that way. My Vimeo custom thumbnail comes out clear this way though! 

• 1 month later...

@Ziggy the issue occurs when using the new Video Page option. In a video page, you aren't adding videos using video blocks, you add your videos in a manner similar to adding blog postings to a blog page. Using a video page, you only have the option to add a thumbnail if the video is uploaded to Squarespace. If you instead use a link to a site such as Vimeo, you have no thumbnail option nor control over the way the thumbnail is displayed. 

I am having the same issue. Bizarrely, some of my Vimeo thumbnails look fine, others are mis-sized and blurry. I have found several people mention the issue. No simply fixes that I have read. 

website image.jpg