Bing webmaster tools - <H1> tag not found on home page

Go to solution Solved by creedon,

Hi, a strange error showing in Bing webmaster tools after running a site scan. Any ideas?

The <h1> tag is missing. The <h1> tag is an indicator to Bingbot and web visitors of what the body copy's primary theme or topic is. The <h1> tag reinforces the core keyword(s) found in the title, description, and the body copy. We recommend that the <h1> tag includes keywords that reflect the contents of the page and that it is not longer than approximately 150 characters in length.

The cart page is not active because I don't have products yet but the homepage threw me. Doesn't it automatically have an <H1> tag? I have a logo with alt-text in place of the site title but I'm sure that shouldn't make a difference.

www.mybeautyangel.com

Screenshot 2023-01-23 at 6.36.03 pm.png

• Solution

There is no w3.org standard that specifies that each web page must have an h1.

I would view Bing's report with suspicion. That claim sounds more like 2003 than 2023 good advice. Search engine reports make all kinds of claims that aren't necessarily true. Use them as a guide but don't jump off every cliff they tell you to. After all. It's a stupid computer program not a human SEO expert in your corner.

h1, h2, h3, and etc. these days are used more for contextual understanding. Your home page has none at all so adding one wouldn't enhance context. Adding one with JavaScript is dubious. There is no way to know for sure if your custom code ran before or after the search engine spider crawled your page.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.