Help with website not ranking, even after a year.

I've had my Squarespace website for almost a year, and it's still not ranking at all. I have watched the videos, tried to add keywords into my meta-descriptions and website, but still nothing. I'm at a complete loss and all the advice I've had is to watch videos and figure it out. I feel like I'm throwing my money away and need to get the issues fixed. Help! 

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi @drclare,

Google can be a pain at times, but don't worry, as plenty of people have got their site ranked who likely have worse sites.

Because you didn't add your URL, I couldn't find the exact problem, but the below points could be things to consider:

• Ensure your sitemap is submitted on Google Search Console and you have manually requested indexing. To do this, enter sitemap.xml in the "enter sitemap URL" box and then after this, end the blog URL into the top search bar (below)
  • What keywords are you trying to rank for? Identifying your keyword/phrase and then optimising your blog to rank for that is key. If you just write an article based on an idea in your head, there may not be any demand for that topic on Google.
  • Once you know what keywords you want to rank for, you can complete a competitor analysis on what is already ranking on page one. If all the competing articles have 2000+ words, 10+ images, bullet points, and lots of external links (for example), then you know you're probably also going to have to do that too
  • 65% of webpages don't have backlinks, so even though you've had your site for a year, you might not have any. Backlinks are links from other websites to yours - the more high-quality backlinks you have, the more likely Google is to rank your website higher on its search engines. If you don't have any, there is little showing to Google that you're trustworthy and should be ranked.
  • How many pages/articles do you have? If your site is still small, then Google may not deem it important enough to rank yet.
  • How much value are you providing and is your content unique? Google makes money by keeping eyes on its ecosystem; therefore it wants to rank articles which are unique and high-value, otherwise people won't come back to Google. Is your article really providing unique value? If not, then you may have a reduced chance of ranking.

Hope that helps! I'm launching a Squarespace SEO plugin later in Q1 which will also help here if you need some support.

image.png

Henry Purchase

Founder of SEOSpace - the SEO plugin for Squarespace.

Get a Free Squarespace SEO Audit: https://www.seospace.co.uk/squarespace-seo-audit-score

image.png.f2cf8f5bd8cb76803cb561be0b303142.png

• 4 weeks later...