How do I transfer content from an old blog (v 7.0) to a new website (v 7.1)?

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• Solution
On 1/20/2023 at 9:29 PM, JaymiBritten said:

I'm disappointed that I have to rebuild my website (version 7.0) in order to use version 7.1 templates & features. With that said, is there any way to transfer my old blog content to my new website?

Yes, I use the amazing SquarespaceWebsites Tools PRO Chrome Extension. It's a game changer and can migrate all blog content (although not comments). Alternatively, you can hire someone to migrate it for you 🙂.

The problem with migrating from 7.0 to 7.1 is that there is so much that must be recreated manually. For example:

• Uploaded files cannot be migrated. You will need to manually upload each file to the new site and then reconnect each link.
  • Subscriptions (including memberships) cannot be migrated. 
  • Digital product purchases cannot be migrated, preventing customers from re-downloading their digital purchases. 
  • Customer accounts and profiles cannot be migrated.
  • Squarespace Email Campaigns cannot be migrated.
  • Squarespace Scheduling cannot be migrated.
  • Backend data cannot be migrated. This means that you will not be able to look back at analytics data, customer accounts or historical order data. 
  • Commerce settings and payment processors cannot be migrated. 
  • Product reviews cannot be migrated.
  • Squarespace Extensions cannot be migrated. 
  • Digital products cannot be migrated. 
  • Index pages cannot be migrated.
  • The URL slug of individual product detail pages will change.
  • Squarespace 7.1 site headers are more restrictive.
  • Custom code must be re-written.
  • Third-party plugins may need to be repurchased for Squarespace 7.1.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.