Form block: "foreign" characters in form field names

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi. Bit of a cosmetic problem I can't seem to work around here.

When a contact form is completed and sent to the designated email address in the form block's storage section, some characters outside the US ASCII character set arrives looking like HTML entities instead.

Example: the field name FØDSELSDATO ("birth date") is displayed as "FØDSELSDATO" in the mail (in Outlook). Special characters in the field values (what the web site users entered) looks ok.

I've tried entering the problematic characters into the form block field name in different ways, but they always come out as HTML entities in the mail. Anyone seen this, or know some sort of fix?

• Solution
11 minutes ago, GDWebDesign said:

When a contact form is completed, some characters outside the US ASCII character set arrives looking like HTML entities instead.

Example: the field name FØDSELSDATO ("birth date") is displayed as "FØDSELSDATO" in the mail (in Outlook). Special characters in the field values (what the web site users entered) looks ok.

I've tried entering the problematic characters into the form block field name in different ways, but they always come out as HTML entities in the mail. Anyone seen this, or know some sort of fix?

This is a bug with Squarespace's own parser that is designed to safely remove code. As this functionality is part of the Squarespace "backend" to which none of us have access, you'll need to contact Squarespace Customer Care directly and report this. 

For the benefit of other users, please let us know how you get on.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Got an answer back from customer care. No resolution, but the bug is supposedly on the list of things to fix:

Hi There,
Greetings from Ireland, <name>from <place> here. Thanks for getting in touch. I'd be more than happy to take a look at this for you.

Sorry to hear you've been running into trouble with your websites Form Block. I checked out your screenshot & I can definitely see what you mean about the formatting issue. 

We’re currently investigating that formatting issue with Form Blocks for special characters —thanks for reporting this to us & letting us know it's impacting your website. Our Engineering teams are prioritizing a fix for this as we speak.

There are many variables that we test against before we release a fix, so we can’t provide an exact timeframe for a resolution. We can’t always follow up personally when a fix is released due to the volume of reports we receive for this issue.

That said, these reports are crucial for us as we improve our platform. If you notice any other unusual behavior, please contact us again.

Kindly, 

Hello, 
Here is what I would like help with. 
I have created forms in Hungarian for my client's website. 
The emails that arrive with the subscription do not contain the special "Hungarian" characters, but HTML entities. 
The client is very annoyed by this. 
Can I fix this bug in Squarespace or do they need to adjust something in the mail system?
Thank you, 
a.

1 hour ago, antasz said:

The emails that arrive with the subscription do not contain the special "Hungarian" characters, but HTML entities. 

Squarespace are currently investigating this formatting issue with Form Blocks and special characters - see above.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.