Resizing file sizes bigger than 20 MB

Forgive me if this has been asked before. I'm a photographer and my camera shoots 45 megapixel images. I tend to have file sizes upwards of 27 to 30 MB's. My question is, if Squarespace can handle up to 120MP images, wouldn't those file sizes exceed 20 MB? having high quality imagery is important for me and I'm not quite sure how to make the images smaller to fit the MP limit. Is there anyway around the file size limit? Anyone with any tips or tricks that they could share with me would be greatly appreciated.

971883126_WOODVOHARA3DxO-194.JPG

• Replies 3
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A little advise and my tuppenceworth: for two good reasons you shouldn't be uploading image to your website that come anywhere near the 20MB upload size limit, firstly to protect your content, and secondly, because your website will take ages to load.

Nobody needs to load an uncompressed 45MP/30MB photo to see if you're a good photographer, and if you're delivering photos to clients then a file transfer service is much better suited for that, Dropbox works well enough.  

I would suggest that a photo that is 4000px in width and compressed to about 75% in JPG format will exceed 95% of monitors resolution and be almost indistinguishable in quality to 95% of people.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

• 2 weeks later...

Ziggy,

Thanks for clarifying the technical side. I found a work around that would still allow for the high res that I was looking for. 

As for the rest of what you said… I didn’t really ask for your opinion on that. I’ve been a working professional commercial photographer for 13 years. I didn’t ask about being able to load an uncompressed file to prove anything. I didn’t ask about being able to deliver images or file transfer services. I asked about technical specifications because my file sizes have changed due to a change in my gear and I was unable to load my new images to my site because of it. You came across very condescending. So in the future, maybe just stick to the topic at hand? That’s far more helpful than trying to chastise someone about something they didn’t ask you for. 

I apologise for that, I was simply trying to be helpful. Good luck with your photography.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link)