Categories and Multiple Categories

Hi all

Has anyone figured out a way to have products in multiple categories without having to add that product to multiple stores?  It seems bizarre that this isn't already a feature as most stores aren't single layer stores I suspect. 

I own a shop that has totally different 'categories' like outdoor plants, garden sundries, floristry supplies and indoor plants.  Within each of those sit other categories - like watering cans, plant pots etc etc.  Some of these products will span multiple categories especially during Christmas - some floristry sundries which will be used to make wreaths for instance, or garden tools which can be gifts. Another example is a plant mister, which is in the sundry category but I also want it to be in the plants category as an add on purchase.  Short of making a separate store called Christmas  or whatever and then duplicating all of the relevant products into that store I can't find any other way to have these products in multiple categories. Surely I can't be the only one who needs to do this?   

I've also noticed that although all of my products from multiple stores show up in the inventory not all of the categories from each store do. I have a load of floristry items that I set up originally but now I've created another page with a new store and need to move them to the new category but I can't - any ideas?  

The way squarespace works seems to be quite basic in terms of its ability to organise your products, and every other platform I've tried lets you have one store where you can add products to multiple categories and have multiple pages using that one store ...

any help would be amazing.

here's the website if you need to have a look at what I mean.  www.frondere.uk

thanks! 

• Replies 1
  • Views 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/17/2023 at 2:10 PM, chavvers said:

Has anyone figured out a way to have products in multiple categories without having to add that product to multiple stores?

Yes, you should be able to add a product to multiple, nested categories without duplicating inventory or creating additional store pages.

To add categories to a product, edit the product, scroll down to the Organization section and click Categories. Here's an example from a fashion store:

image.thumb.png.73d541ec5b9006dd53c4095f32b6c9dd.png

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.