Updated my Portfolio site, now it's no longer appearing on Google.

Hi there,

About 6 months ago I updated my portfolio site, duplicating pages in the process to try and match the template throughout. In doing so it appears I completely destroyed the SEO of my website, and I'm having a really challenging time getting it back on Google. Currently it is not listed, displaying a number of errors (see attached). 

I am due to upgrade to 7.1, so as a fix-all I rebuilt the website there. But before I transition my URL over, I wanted to check that doing so would in fact fix my situation, or if I need to fix it at the source first, in my existing website, before transitioning. 

If it's the latter, I would love some tips on how to correct the situation that I've found myself in. I am unfortunately pretty ignorant when it comes to this side of web design, as you can probably tell. 

I've provided some screenshots to add some clarity. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.34.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.38.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.39.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.38.33 PM.png

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/17/2023 at 2:40 AM, LeJeux said:

Hi there,

About 6 months ago I updated my portfolio site, duplicating pages in the process to try and match the template throughout. In doing so it appears I completely destroyed the SEO of my website, and I'm having a really challenging time getting it back on Google. Currently it is not listed, displaying a number of errors (see attached). 

I am due to upgrade to 7.1, so as a fix-all I rebuilt the website there. But before I transition my URL over, I wanted to check that doing so would in fact fix my situation, or if I need to fix it at the source first, in my existing website, before transitioning. 

If it's the latter, I would love some tips on how to correct the situation that I've found myself in. I am unfortunately pretty ignorant when it comes to this side of web design, as you can probably tell. 

I've provided some screenshots to add some clarity. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.34.01 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.38.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.39.33 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 2.38.33 PM.png

Hi @LeJeux,

To know exactly what's happened, I'd need to see a bit deeper into those errors.

One thing that can happen when pages are duplicated is that the SEO title, SEO description/meta description and URLs aren't updated to match the new page.

Double-check each page to ensure you've updated these.

Additionally, after taking a look at what you want to rank for. One of the main purposes for being indexed is so people can find your pages organically on Google. If we take a look at this page on your website, it isn't clear what you want it to rank for. 

If it isn't clear to a reader, it's also not going to be clear for Google.

Likewise, on your homepage, there are a number of things you need to add to improve your chances of ranking, such as:

image.thumb.png.0e005b4190e3282ff5573973e2943a38.pngimage.thumb.png.b1add6d3c18b6e8bd910bf44fa3d38a0.png

Henry Purchase

Founder of SEOSpace - the SEO plugin for Squarespace.

Get a Free Squarespace SEO Audit: https://www.seospace.co.uk/squarespace-seo-audit-score

image.png.f2cf8f5bd8cb76803cb561be0b303142.png