scrolling banner image & upgrade old template

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hello hello,

Is there a way to reduce the height of a scrolling banner image? I have a testimonial in a banner image and it's unnecessarily tall. Am I missing something to be able to edit it or is this requiring custom code? I'm using the rally template from the brine family if that makes a difference. Also is there a way to upgrade an old template? I've been using this one for years and I'd like to keep it but I'm noticing it's not as customizable as the 7.1 templates.

Appreciate the help!

Chelsey

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 8.42.05 AM.png

On 1/12/2023 at 4:42 PM, HomeownerHQ said:

I have a testimonial in a banner image and it's unnecessarily tall. I'm using the rally template from the brine family if that makes a difference. I've been using this one for years and I'd like to keep it but I'm noticing it's not as customizable as the 7.1 templates.

I know exactly what you mean. In August 2022, I stopped using Brine as my go-to template and started building on 7.1 - unless there was a missing feature on 7.1 that was needed. 

I've always preferred Brine-family templates but I think we've now reached the tipping point where 7.1 is better - easier to edit, easier to tweak, better SEO, better commerce features and so on.

Changing heights of individual sections (index pages as they were known on 7.0) is a great example because it is so much easier with 7.1 - it's just a click away. 

On Squarespace 7.o, you can still adjust the index page height but to change just one, you'll need some CSS - see below.

As the “testimonial” index page on your site has the ID index-testimonial, you should be able to use this Custom CSS to reduce the height, setting 40vh to meet your needs:

#index-testimonial.Index-page.Index-page--has-image {
  min-height: 40vh;
}

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks Paul!

That said, how would you go about changing to 7.1? Is it a quick 1-click button or is it going with a completely new template? If 1-click, please let me know how that's possible. If it's a new template, can you tell me which is a similar template to plug in.

Also the code didn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

• Solution
2 hours ago, HomeownerHQ said:

the code didn't seem to work. Any suggestions?

It's working for me on a test site, but I cannot see my code in your CSS panel. If you removed it from Design > Custom CSS, can you add it back in so that I can take a look?

2 hours ago, HomeownerHQ said:

how would you go about changing to 7.1?

Sadly, the one thing that we don’t have yet is a Squarespace Migration Tool. 

It’s great to see the Squarespace 7.1 platform advancing and becoming better than the Brine template. Not so many months ago, the opposite was true; Brine had many more features and was easier to customise. However until Squarespace provide us with that one-click migration tool, it requires a complete rebuild. To make things less frustrating I use an excellent a tool called the SquarespaceWebsites Tools PRO Chrome Extension. This can't migrate a site, but it can migrate individual pages, blogs and events from 7.0 to 7.1 which can save me days.

The good news is that Squarespace 7.1 only has one template and one set of features, with a large range of initial designs to choose from. In my opinion, this makes selecting a template easier - just pick the one that most closely matches your vision, or start with the blank one (which often saves me even more time). Whichever one you choose, the features will reassuringly be the same. I hope this helps. 

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Putting the code in the design area and not on the banner itself worked, thank you!

That's too bad they don't have anything like that. I've just re-designed the entire site so I'm not quite up for starting over but I will save the tool if I migrate each page or just start over in the future. Either way, thank you so much for sharing both.

Chelsey