EU Cookie Banner

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi there,

the German Squarespace site uses a cookie banner with different options to disable or enable certain cookies. I'm looking for the exact same thing, bummer it's not available within the system. A workaround would be a cookie consent tool, but that means extra costs. Any Ideas on how to fix this?

• Solution
21 hours ago, ziska said:

the German Squarespace site uses a cookie banner with different options to disable or enable certain cookies. I'm looking for the exact same thing

As you said, Squarespace's own websites use the Cookie Consent Manager by TrustArc (formally TRUSTe). This tool is primarily designed for large corporates as it is part of a cloud platform for implementing compliance procedures. I believe they have a free version available with fewer options but I think you need to sign up for the free trial before they make pricing information available, which doesn't feel very transparent.

There are a number of other third party cookie consent tools on the market. Each has its own features and pricing models and some include a free option for fewer features, visitor limits or manual configuration.

Choices include (but aren't limited to)

Other forum users may like to add their experiences to this thread, with details of their favourite tools and examples of the cookie banners they have created 🙂

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 5 weeks later...

Unfortunately these third party apps cannot block Squarespace's very own analytics-cookies. But in Europe I need to block them until the consent by the website viewer is given. 

I know that getting a real answer to that question is quite hopeless, but is Squarespace currently working on a solution? How can such a fantastic company with so many high value options even for me as a beginner have such a poor communication on that topic?

4 hours ago, Infolin said:

Unfortunately these third party apps cannot block Squarespace's very own analytics-cookies.

That’s not true. Cookie Script certainly can.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

4 hours ago, paul2009 said:

That’s not true. Cookie Script certainly can.

Well there certainly are some cookie consent apps like Cookie Script that can at least recognize Squarespace's own analytics cookies and they seem to give you the option of deactivating them, but as soon as you check your website for these analytics cookies (i.e. https://www.cookieserve.com/), they will appear either way, whether you deactivated them through your cookie consent tool or not. 

Did you try that? 

2 hours ago, Infolin said:

as you check your website for these analytics cookies (i.e. https://www.cookieserve.com/), they will appear either way, whether you deactivated them through your cookie consent tool or not.

I think you may have misunderstood what the free tool was telling you.

If a real visitor chooses to reject cookies in a Cookie Script banner, the product will actively block them. The product can scan the site for all the cookies being used - including Squarespace Analytics cookies - and can block them if a visitor asks to do so. 

In contrast, the reporting tool you mentioned needs to download all the cookies from a site, otherwise it could not categorise and report on them. It therefore accepts all cookies from a site, regardless of the cookie manager that is installed and working on that site. 

I hope this helps.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

On 2/12/2023 at 3:53 PM, paul2009 said:

In contrast, the reporting tool you mentioned needs to download all the cookies from a site

Oh all right, got it! Thank you so much for explaining, so many new interesting details to learn about when you get started. Now that I tried that and disabled Squarespace's analytical apps through my cookie consent tool as a visitor, 90% of my images disappear and will only show up, if I activate ss_cvr and ss_cvt again. 

I looked it up and someone had the same problem: https://forum.squarespace.com/topic/212217-script-namespaths-dropping-analytical-cookies-needed/#comment-522369

Since it's been over a year now, do you know any solution to that?

If there is still not work around to that problem, it would be basically impossible to use Squarespace's analytical cookies in Europe if you want to use a proper consent tool and keep your images in your website. 

• 1 year later...