How to Correctly Integrate Google Ad Words Conversion Tracking in Squarespace?

After going through many tutorials and speaking with the Google Ads team a few times I am still struggling to figure out how to correctly integrate Google Ads conversion tracking on my Squarespace website.

To be sure I am not doing commerce. I am simply tracking the conversions of those who fill out a form and submit, like a quote for instance. Most of the tutorials look like they are geared for commerce which might make a difference in setup.

To be sure I have a Squarespace Business Account and have fully setup accounts for both Google Ads and Google Analytics.

I have copy and pasted the Google Ads Tag into the Settings -> Advanced -> Code Injection -> Header of my site. (see screenshot)

I also put the Event Snippet into the Page Settings -> Advanced -> Page Header Code Injection section of the page I redirect to after a successful form submission. (see screenshot)

My problem is that after setting it up I still see a "No Recent Conversions" in my Google Ads page (see screenshot). This is after I used another computer, with a VPN, and no account logins to make multiple test submissions.

Why is this? Do I need to wait a week for it to fully initialize or did I set something up incorrectly?

Is there a better way to do this?

I am happy to document anything else and would appreciate any tips possible.

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 1.53.37 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 1.58.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 1.58.26 PM.png

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Views 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can try to do this:

1. Create a new AdWords Conversion Tracking Tag in your AdWords account. More in my blog https://swiit.solutions/blog/social-media-marketing/

2. Copy the Conversion ID and Conversion Label from the AdWords Conversion Tracking Tag. 3. In Squarespace, go to Settings > Advanced > Code Injection and paste the following code, replacing the placeholder values with your Conversion ID and Conversion Label: <script> gtag('event', 'conversion', { 'send_to': 'CONVERSION_ID/CONVERSION_LABEL' }); </script> 4. Click Save and you will be done.

Edited by HannaBorman
  • 2 months later...

Just thought I would add to this thread because I struggled with this for a few days, so maybe this can help a few people out!

I am using Google Tag Manager to trigger the Google Ads Conversion after the lead form is submitted. Personally, I prefer GTM because I can run everything through it, G4A, Google Ads, custom code etc.

Anyhow usually, the lead form confirms submission on a "thank you" page/url, which is easy to trigger G-Ads Conversion using a URL trigger, but this particular form was set to confirm submissions with just a "thank you" message on the same URL, so what I did is use the "Element Visibility" trigger on GTM to trigger the G-Ads conversion snippet.

I used a CSS selector as the visibility element, I created an HTML element that was set to render after the form was submitted. I set that HTML element up in the form block itself, that's under the post-submit section.

I gave the HTML element, in this case, a <div> element which I assigned a class of ".form-submission-gtrigger" as in image 1.

Then I created a little custom css, as follows, make sure to give the div a little height as it seems GTM won't detect the element's presence if it has 0 height. 

/* GTM Trigger */
.form-submission-gtrigger {
  height: 20px !important;
  }

Then I set GTM to look for the presence of the .form-submission-gtrigger class in order to trigger the G-Ads conversion snippet,

I  set GTM trigger to only once per page and to monitor the DOM because the HTML element is not being triggered through a scroll it is just popping up after the form submits, (still invisible to the user), I also limited the DOM monitoring to the URL with the lead form. Settings are in image 2.

Anyhow, not sure if this is the most elegant way to accomplish this, but it works and works well ;)

post-space.jpg

thanks-you-css.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello thread, 

I am currently working with a client that uses Squarespace.  I have been banging my head to get this to correctly work with Google Adwords.  We can't run the ads until I know this is set up correctly.  Blows my mind that WordPress, which some would deem more complicated, makes this so much of an easier process. Nevertheless, maybe I'm just making the process harder than it should be.  

We have set up about 4 different conversions, basically trying all 4 times, to no avail. This seems to be the clearest website instructions, https://squarefeed.io/implement-google-ads-conversion-tracking-on-squarespace/

Now, when I follow the instructions to a T, we still are not detecting it when I turn Squarespace into test mode and try and trigger the Google Tag through the checkout process by completing the test transaction.  I've even let the thing go for days on Google Adwords, hoping that it would trigger soon enough.  I thought maybe the cache on Squarespace wasn't loading.  As others have said in this thread, much research has been done with this process which blows my mind, because Google Adwords is a total must for so many businesses to compete. 

Is there something that is not being included in the link above?  Like maybe a new release of Squarespace, that made those instructions void?  I'm totally at a loss, any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

• 1 month later...
On 5/15/2023 at 10:08 AM, VeerDigital said:

Hello thread, 

I am currently working with a client that uses Squarespace.  I have been banging my head to get this to correctly work with Google Adwords.  We can't run the ads until I know this is set up correctly.  Blows my mind that WordPress, which some would deem more complicated, makes this so much of an easier process. Nevertheless, maybe I'm just making the process harder than it should be.  

We have set up about 4 different conversions, basically trying all 4 times, to no avail. This seems to be the clearest website instructions, https://squarefeed.io/implement-google-ads-conversion-tracking-on-squarespace/

Now, when I follow the instructions to a T, we still are not detecting it when I turn Squarespace into test mode and try and trigger the Google Tag through the checkout process by completing the test transaction.  I've even let the thing go for days on Google Adwords, hoping that it would trigger soon enough.  I thought maybe the cache on Squarespace wasn't loading.  As others have said in this thread, much research has been done with this process which blows my mind, because Google Adwords is a total must for so many businesses to compete. 

Is there something that is not being included in the link above?  Like maybe a new release of Squarespace, that made those instructions void?  I'm totally at a loss, any help would be much appreciated.  Thanks!

Hey mate,

It is 8th July 2023 as we speak. I did what was given in the link https://squarefeed.io/implement-google-ads-conversion-tracking-on-squarespace/, it worked perfectly fine for me, I did some extra steps to test and close the loop. These are the conditions that worked for me:

- I used GTM (Google Tag Manager) and have it installed on my SS header code injection. I have conversion linker setup for my GTM (google this if you dont know). P.S. I think if you use Google Tag itself works too, GTM is not the only way.

- Under Google Adwords, I create a new conversion (website) -> add a conversion manually then I chose Purchase as the conversion along with the other details in the window.

- Under Google Tag setup for the purchase conversion above, I chose 'Install the tag yourself'. I took the page load snippet code ( I added the other details like currency, transaction id etc as per the link you provided) and paste it to my 'Order Status Page' in SS code injection.

- After that, I turn on test payment mode in SS to do a test payment to test this snippet code.

- Next, I go to Google Adwords, I click on the 'troubleshoot' red word at the purchase conversion that I created (under conversion summary). After clicking on this troubleshoot, google tag assistant will fire and now you will be prompt to key in your web URL and your website will be loaded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyiiwpdZlBg&t=160s Refer to this link to troubleshoot.

- Next, I just do a test purchase on my website that was fired up to close the loop. After I have done the test purchase, google tag assistant recognises the snippet code that is fired up and everything is setup.

- Finally, I turned off test payment mode and deleted that purchase transaction in my SS account.

P.S. if you want to do it purely via GTM way. This youtube link is super helpful. I personally think GTM is the way to go since you can view everything through google analytics instead of segregating them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFNX6Z0gQpo 

Goodluck setting it up. If you follow the steps above, it should work perfectly.

Edited by Dilon
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/8/2023 at 1:38 AM, Dilon said:

Hey mate,

It is 8th July 2023 as we speak. I did what was given in the link https://squarefeed.io/implement-google-ads-conversion-tracking-on-squarespace/, it worked perfectly fine for me, I did some extra steps to test and close the loop. These are the conditions that worked for me:

- I used GTM (Google Tag Manager) and have it installed on my SS header code injection. I have conversion linker setup for my GTM (google this if you dont know). P.S. I think if you use Google Tag itself works too, GTM is not the only way.

- Under Google Adwords, I create a new conversion (website) -> add a conversion manually then I chose Purchase as the conversion along with the other details in the window.

- Under Google Tag setup for the purchase conversion above, I chose 'Install the tag yourself'. I took the page load snippet code ( I added the other details like currency, transaction id etc as per the link you provided) and paste it to my 'Order Status Page' in SS code injection.

- After that, I turn on test payment mode in SS to do a test payment to test this snippet code.

- Next, I go to Google Adwords, I click on the 'troubleshoot' red word at the purchase conversion that I created (under conversion summary). After clicking on this troubleshoot, google tag assistant will fire and now you will be prompt to key in your web URL and your website will be loaded. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyiiwpdZlBg&t=160s Refer to this link to troubleshoot.

- Next, I just do a test purchase on my website that was fired up to close the loop. After I have done the test purchase, google tag assistant recognises the snippet code that is fired up and everything is setup.

- Finally, I turned off test payment mode and deleted that purchase transaction in my SS account.

P.S. if you want to do it purely via GTM way. This youtube link is super helpful. I personally think GTM is the way to go since you can view everything through google analytics instead of segregating them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFNX6Z0gQpo 

Goodluck setting it up. If you follow the steps above, it should work perfectly.

Hey man! I feel like I'm so close to getting this, but still having no luck. You're one of the few people on the internet who has directly addressed everything.

I've followed all your steps, but looks like i'm hung up on the conversion linker? It's asking where to fire it. What page do you have it triggered on? A redirect thank you page?

Appreciate any help!

• 7 months later...
On 5/6/2023 at 3:56 AM, Wolfdown said:

Just thought I would add to this thread because I struggled with this for a few days, so maybe this can help a few people out!

I am using Google Tag Manager to trigger the Google Ads Conversion after the lead form is submitted. Personally, I prefer GTM because I can run everything through it, G4A, Google Ads, custom code etc.

Anyhow usually, the lead form confirms submission on a "thank you" page/url, which is easy to trigger G-Ads Conversion using a URL trigger, but this particular form was set to confirm submissions with just a "thank you" message on the same URL, so what I did is use the "Element Visibility" trigger on GTM to trigger the G-Ads conversion snippet.

I used a CSS selector as the visibility element, I created an HTML element that was set to render after the form was submitted. I set that HTML element up in the form block itself, that's under the post-submit section.

I gave the HTML element, in this case, a <div> element which I assigned a class of ".form-submission-gtrigger" as in image 1.

Then I created a little custom css, as follows, make sure to give the div a little height as it seems GTM won't detect the element's presence if it has 0 height. 

/* GTM Trigger */
.form-submission-gtrigger {
  height: 20px !important;
  }

Then I set GTM to look for the presence of the .form-submission-gtrigger class in order to trigger the G-Ads conversion snippet,

I  set GTM trigger to only once per page and to monitor the DOM because the HTML element is not being triggered through a scroll it is just popping up after the form submits, (still invisible to the user), I also limited the DOM monitoring to the URL with the lead form. Settings are in image 2.

Anyhow, not sure if this is the most elegant way to accomplish this, but it works and works well 😉

post-space.jpg

thanks-you-css.jpg

Hi, just wondering where did you put the custom CSS? Should we put it after the HTML element in Squarespace? Really would like to try this to capture pop ups sign ups. Thank you.