Make background videos work on all mobile devices

Video banners don’t always display on mobile devices and it can sometimes feel like hit and miss because there are so many (constantly evolving!) factors that affect whether the video will play. Some are OS based and others are browser based, including connection speed, battery level and video embed attributes.

If the fallback image loads in place of the video, it's probably one of these factors. However, if neither the image or the video loads, you may want to reach out to Squarespace Customer Care to help you troubleshoot.

Improve your online store with our extensions.
About: Squarespace Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, appreciation and great design ♥.
Work: Squarespace Developer and founder of SF Digital, building the features Squarespace didn't include™.
Content: Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.

Buy me a coffee

• 1 month later...

@paul2009 I'm having the same issue of banner video not playing on mobile (This site PW: letmein).

My client pointed out this site's banner video does play on mobile. Granted, this is a WP site but it makes me wonder why does this work on WP and not SS?

Maybe there's some other way to get the appearance of a background video on mobile with SS... perhaps a .gif (as backup image) to give the appearance of a video? 

Any thoughts?

Thanks. 

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
48 minutes ago, kirillillenkov said:

is there a reason why videos play on some devices and on some don't?

It is impossible to pinpoint the cause without extensive testing on different devices however I can tell you that Squarespace background videos can play on mobile devices. Background video playback can be affected by the phone's settings and status, including

• phone accessibility settings
  • if power save mode is enabled
  • if the battery is low
  • if the cellular signal is low

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Improve your online store with our extensions.
About: Squarespace Circle Leader since 2017. I value honesty, transparency, appreciation and great design ♥.
Work: Squarespace Developer and founder of SF Digital, building the features Squarespace didn't include™.
Content: Links in my posts may refer to SF Digital products or may be affiliate links.

Buy me a coffee