Help with online store: hiding prices from new clients

I have a certain product line (DMK Skincare) that I am not allowed to post the price & if you are a new client, they must fill out a consultation form to be approved by me in order to purchase, but If a client is my regular client, I'd like them to be able to purchase. Is there a way to have them request access or have a password? Does anyone have thoughts about what I can do in order to get this to work? I've seen other websites that sell the same product, that seem to have figured it out, just not on squarespace.

8 minutes ago, AGSkinExpert said:

I have a certain product line (DMK Skincare) that I am not allowed to post the price & if you are a new client, they must fill out a consultation form to be approved by me in order to purchase, but If a client is my regular client, I'd like them to be able to purchase. Is there a way to have them request access or have a password? Does anyone have thoughts about what I can do in order to get this to work? I've seen other websites that sell the same product, that seem to have figured it out, just not on squarespace.

You can set a password for the store. You can also have a page that clients fill out a form and then after you review it you can send them an email with the password to the store.

Yes! I saw another website do this, but she could do this for certain products and not others instead of setting a password for an entire page. Would I be able to do that in Squarespace? This is what her store page looks like & when you go into a password protected product, it tells them login required to access/add to cart. and to complete a consent form they click here.

Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 11.02.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 11.03.45 PM.png

Edited by AGSkinExpert
need to add more info
10 hours ago, AGSkinExpert said:

Yes! I saw another website do this, but she could do this for certain products and not others instead of setting a password for an entire page. Would I be able to do that in Squarespace? This is what her store page looks like & when you go into a password protected product, it tells them login required to access/add to cart. and to complete a consent form they click here.

Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 11.02.42 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 11.03.45 PM.png

I have honestly never tried to do this type of process. I’ll play around with it today and see what I can figure out.

SS doesn't have per product passwords. SS's password system is at the page level, in SS terms.

So what most folks do is have two Store pages. One password protected the other not.

Now that would work for the mechanics of passwording some products and not other but wouldn't meet your design criteria. I've not seen an SS site that does what you want.

Here is some free wheeling thoughts. How about having the two stores as described above. The Store page without the password replicates the products from the password protected Store page. The replicated products are set to stock level zero. Then those products are altered via CSS and/or JavaScript to indicate click/login to see price. Again I know of no code that currently does this but it seems like it might be possible to come up with something.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

@creedon Thank you for the suggestion. If I were to do it the way you described-having 2 stores, would I have the product that needed to be password protected be on both pages? It could show but then redirect to the second page where one would fill out form, then I would be contacted to give them a password to purchase on the second page? It seems like some of the sites are using Shopify. Would it be better for me to use shopify and have my shop page redirect from SS to Shopify? Is that even possible?

13 hours ago, AGSkinExpert said:

I have a certain product line (DMK Skincare) that I am not allowed to post the price & if you are a new client, they must fill out a consultation form to be approved by me in order to purchase, but If a client is my regular client, I'd like them to be able to purchase. Is there a way to have them request access or have a password?

As far as I'm aware, Shopify doesn't offer a better solution.

As @creedon said, on Squarespace you can add DMK products to your public store page - which will make them searchable online - but prevent them from being purchased by setting the stock level to zero. You can also hide the price by setting it to zero. If you add a 'DMK' tag to each of these products, you can then add a few lines of code to hide the "0.00" price and the "Add to Cart" button. Instead of the Add to Cart button, you can add a link/button to the product description that takes the potential client to a page explaining why the product cannot be purchased online. This page can contain a contact form or, if you use a scheduling system for your consultations, a booking form so that they can book their consultation with you.

Regarding the sale of DMK products online, I've been asked about this a number of times in the past and, if I recall their terms correctly, DMK's T&Cs only allow specific products to be sold to a client who has received a personal consultation and been "prescribed" those products  - rather than being able to purchase anything from their range. Is that correct? If this isn't the case, you can go ahead and create a second store page for these products that is password protected as @creedon suggested. This page can have the real prices and stock levels, and you can share the password with clients. However, if products must be "prescribed" individually, you may need a different solution.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

I agree with all that's been said here. The only other thing I can think of is to have a members area (which is an extra fee for you), make it a free tier and then develop a workflow. For example, have a page on the site that says consultation is needed prior to purchase using a gallery to showcase the products and then after a form is submitted and you are allowing the purchase send out an email requesting that they show up and then somehow automate the email with the store link for the restricted products.

@paul2009 With DMK, we can sell any retail as long as the person is my client. To become a client, they must have a consultation or have been in for service. I made a consultation form in the squarespace store that comes up when add to cart is clicked, but from there, I'm stuck. Is it easy to make another store, is it within my same site? How are other estheticians doing this on their websites?  

Edited by AGSkinExpert
added response to

I found a website that maybe I can do here on SS. The person sells a product that also can not be sold to anyone unless they have a consult. His consult button leads to his booking site and his current client button sends an email back to him that looks like this. Is this something I could do? It does seem like he has multiple "stores" or pages, which it sounds like I could do that as well.600680492_Screenshot2023-01-08at6_20_00PM.thumb.png.8bc61e55ef06174f63dee02d019d81f7.png

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 6.18.36 PM.png

1 hour ago, AGSkinExpert said:

I found a website that maybe I can do here on SS. The person sells a product that also can not be sold to anyone unless they have a consult. His consult button leads to his booking site and his current client button sends an email back to him that looks like this. Is this something I could do? It does seem like he has multiple "stores" or pages, which it sounds like I could do that as well.600680492_Screenshot2023-01-08at6_20_00PM.thumb.png.8bc61e55ef06174f63dee02d019d81f7.png

Screenshot 2023-01-08 at 6.18.36 PM.png

That is actually a Squarespace site. What they've done is added two buttons on that page and linked them to a specific destination. 

If you want to keep everything in the Squarespace family without doing a Members Area, I suggest using the Scheduling subscription as it integrates with the website builder. Instead of taking you to a different scheduler you could build out your client face appointments and then use the scheduling block to keep people on your site while they book.

As for the return client order I would use a secondary store with a password for the products they can order rather than have them email you. I'm not your target audience but if I was I would look for another site that I don't have to email my order in. It's cumbersome in my opinion.

If you really want to keep it contained you could use Squarespace Campaigns and set up a segment of Approved clients that can purchase the restricted products on a password protected store and then if you change the password you can shoot them an email easily.

If you want to do it WITH a Members Area (which in my opinion would be easier since they have to create an account to join one) you could have your secondary store nested in that area and not have to password protect it if you didn't want to. Everything else would essentially be the same. A button would just link to the members area where they would be prompted to log in.

@sayreambrosioThank you for all your suggestions! I've tried the SS scheduler and it's not my favorite. Vagaro does everything I need with payroll, reports, etc. I love the idea, though to make the member section and not have to email  products. You are right, it is way to time consuming for a person wanting to purchase. I think if I was able to do a page like he did, I could make the other button take the person to the members area. Ok, now I just need someone to do it! 😃😅 Appreciate your time!

58 minutes ago, AGSkinExpert said:

@sayreambrosioThank you for all your suggestions! I've tried the SS scheduler and it's not my favorite. Vagaro does everything I need with payroll, reports, etc. I love the idea, though to make the member section and not have to email  products. You are right, it is way to time consuming for a person wanting to purchase. I think if I was able to do a page like he did, I could make the other button take the person to the members area. Ok, now I just need someone to do it! 😃😅 Appreciate your time!

Gotcha on the Vagaro functionality. I totally get having a fave scheduler. Glad I could help in some way. I'm still dipping my toes into designing Member Areas, but I'm always willing to help nail down a solution. Feel free to tag me in any questions you may have on anything and I'll try to help if I can.

• Eunice_SQSP changed the title to Help with online store: hiding prices from new clients
  • 1 month later...