Is it possible to duplicate an entire site to use as a template for your next site (different domain)

Go to solution Solved by Ziggy,

I have an existing website (squarespace) and would like to start a new website (old one still remains) that has many things similar to that site.

Is it possible to essentially duplicate my website to use as a template for my new site - that would save a lot of time!

• Solution

Yes, you can certainly do that from inside the dashboard at account.squarespace.com. There is an option to duplicate in the setting for each website you own.

It's a reasonably common procedure to start from a duplicate website, or even have a template website with layouts and pages that you regularly use as a starting point for a new build. Design pages with examples of headings, paragraphs, blocks, images can be useful too.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

Hey Ziggy - I've done the above, duplicating all the info on my site that I want to use to publish my site live. But I now have three "sites" (a primary site with my domain that I want to use, a sandbox site that I built all my content on, and a copy of the sandbox site) and can't figure out how to migrate the site I've built on my sandbox page to my active domain page.

I basically just want to move the content here: https://burgundy-mushroom-wszw.squarespace.com/

on to here: https://www.davidwainer.com/

Any help is appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 6:52 AM, Ziggy said:

Yes, you can certainly do that from inside the dashboard at account.squarespace.com. There is an option to duplicate in the setting for each website you own.

It's a reasonably common procedure to start from a duplicate website, or even have a template website with layouts and pages that you regularly use as a starting point for a new build. Design pages with examples of headings, paragraphs, blocks, images can be useful too.

Hi Ziggy, I am doing the same. I have duplicated my website in order to create an additional one for another business. How do I rename it from (copy) ? Do I need to start paying for it first?

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, BarbaraNZ said:

How do I rename it from (copy) ?

Edit the site header and edit the site title.

Do I need to start paying for it first?

No. Your new site should be in trial mode.

Please see Starting a Squarespace trial site and Extending your website trial.

Let us know how it goes.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2023 at 10:15 PM, creedon said:

Edit the site header and edit the site title.

No. Your new site should be in trial mode.

Please see Starting a Squarespace trial site and Extending your website trial.

Let us know how it goes.

Hello @creedon ! 
Do you know what happens if the extended period trial is not sufficient to launch your website? 

I am currently remaking a website for a client, and I duplicated their existing website in order to keep it live until the new one is ready. Once the new website ready, we will connect it to the correct domain that my client is already paying and substitute the old one. We have a business account.

Is this a good practice or shall we do it in another way ? What are the solutions that Squarespace offers for this kind of situations?

Best,
Silvia 

2 hours ago, SilviElli said:

Do you know what happens if the extended period trial is not sufficient to launch your website?

You can pay for a plan at anytime. If you're about to run out of the trial period just pay for the site.

You don't have to move the domain over until you are ready.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

On 2/21/2023 at 8:33 PM, creedon said:

You can pay for a plan at anytime. If you're about to run out of the trial period just pay for the site.

You don't have to move the domain over until you are ready.

Thanks for your answer !
So you would need to pay for 2 business plans at the same moment even if one is not published  and just a draft ?  😕

20 hours ago, SilviElli said:

So you would need to pay for 2 business plans at the same moment even if one is not published  and just a draft ?

I'll say it another way. SS has two modes for a site. Trial and paid subscription. The trial is time limited. Once it runs out you have to pay for a plan to keep the website going.