Jump to content

Webpage & Commerce separate??

Recommended Posts

I'm very new to this. I haven't set up a website in a long time, so I'm a bit frustrated that it seems more difficult than it was 20 years ago. I have everything I need, but they are not in the same place. There is a one page website with a Learn more button that I can't figure out. But, the most frustrating part is the commerce side that doesn't connect to the website. They're two separate entities. I feel really stupid because I can't sort this out myself. Would I be better off ditching the website? My domain is connected to it, so anyone who tried to use my service goes to a useless page that does nothing and has no commerce links. I'm just looking to the simplest solution to this maddening issue. 

Link to comment
11 minutes ago, spookyyank said:

I'm very new to this. I haven't set up a website in a long time, so I'm a bit frustrated that it seems more difficult than it was 20 years ago. I have everything I need, but they are not in the same place. There is a one page website with a Learn more button that I can't figure out. But, the most frustrating part is the commerce side that doesn't connect to the website. They're two separate entities. I feel really stupid because I can't sort this out myself. Would I be better off ditching the website? My domain is connected to it, so anyone who tried to use my service goes to a useless page that does nothing and has no commerce links. I'm just looking to the simplest solution to this maddening issue. 

I want to check and make sure that you are indeed on Squarespace and not Square and using their website builder. It's a common mistake/frustration so before diving in I thought I would check.

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, sayreambrosio said:

I want to check and make sure that you are indeed on Squarespace and not Square and using their website builder. It's a common mistake/frustration so before diving in I thought I would check.

Yes, I am on Squarespace. The site is proxyshipbuddies.com. There you'll see just the one page. I've basically ignored the Learn more button while setting up everything else, so I'm not worried about that right now. Just getting a fully functional website going. I appreciate any help you can give me to untangle this mess I'm pretty sure I created somehow.

Link to comment

Let’s start with the plan that you’re on. It needs to be a business plan or hire in order to have the e-commerce on it.

When you’re designing the site you’ll want to go into the commerce section that is going to be on the left-hand side of the page. Let me know if it doesn’t show up I’m not at my computer right now so I can’t grab any screenshots but I can try and walk you through it.

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, sayreambrosio said:

Let’s start with the plan that you’re on. It needs to be a business plan or hire in order to have the e-commerce on it.

When you’re designing the site you’ll want to go into the commerce section that is going to be on the left-hand side of the page. Let me know if it doesn’t show up I’m not at my computer right now so I can’t grab any screenshots but I can try and walk you through it.

This is what I have. I hope this is just a simple fix that I'm overlooking. I just dove in head first. 

dashboard.png

Link to comment
Quote

I haven't set up a website in a long time, so I'm a bit frustrated that it seems more difficult than it was 20 years ago.

Things have changed a lot over 20 years of tech evolution. The underlying technologies have gotten much richer so they are harder to get a grasp on. On the upside a website builder like SS would have been just about, if not, impossible to build in the early days of the web.

Quote

I have everything I need, but they are not in the same place.

I just looked at your site and I don't see anything unusual about it. I see your main page, the store page, added a product item and got the express checkout. All on the same domain. I obviously didn't complete checkout so I didn't exercise your backend. That is something you'll want to do before going live using the e-commerce test mode. But you can wait on that a bit.

Please see the following.

I think some of the frustration you might be feeling is that your site has two domains. There is the built-in domain. The one you use to edit your site using SS's editor. Then there is the outside appearance the rest of the world sees, the domain you gave us. Rest assured SS is keeping track of things and when you give out your domain, it should all just work, assuming it works in the editor.

The other issue that may be leaving you feeling disconnected is that it appears you only have one page in the Main Navigation, yor home page. So as of yet there is no way to get to your Store or About page. When your navigation isn't complete you'll need to go to Home > Pages to get to the pages that aren't linked in yet.

If you aren't aware SS has many support articles. I usually use my favorite search engine when looking for support articles.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as best , and see my profile. Thanks for your support!

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, creedon said:

Things have changed a lot over 20 years of tech evolution. The underlying technologies have gotten much richer so they are harder to get a grasp on. On the upside a website builder like SS would have been just about, if not, impossible to build in the early days of the web.

I just looked at your site and I don't see anything unusual about it. I see your main page, the store page, added a product item and got the express checkout. All on the same domain. I obviously didn't complete checkout so I didn't exercise your backend. That is something you'll want to do before going live using the e-commerce test mode. But you can wait on that a bit.

Please see the following.

I think some of the frustration you might be feeling is that your site has two domains. There is the built-in domain. The one you use to edit your site using SS's editor. Then there is the outside appearance the rest of the world sees, the domain you gave us. Rest assured SS is keeping track of things and when you give out your domain, it should all just work, assuming it works in the editor.

The other issue that may be leaving you feeling disconnected is that it appears you only have one page in the Main Navigation, yor home page. So as of yet there is no way to get to your Store or About page. When your navigation isn't complete you'll need to go to Home > Pages to get to the pages that aren't linked in yet.

If you aren't aware SS has many support articles. I usually use my favorite search engine when looking for support articles.

Wow! Thank you and I was freaking out about that! Getting them connected is where I've been lost. I'll go back and look at that. But, it has been disconcerting to have the separate dashboards. It's very different from what I'm used to. I have also had many conversations with people I've helped set up payments and things on my job's websites and explain how some of these things have become so easy it actually becomes confusing! I've been thinking about how I had to do all of this manually in the past, but this is making my head spin lol Thanks for the help!

Link to comment
1 hour ago, spookyyank said:

This is what I have. I hope this is just a simple fix that I'm overlooking. I just dove in head first. 

dashboard.png

When you click on the larger picture it will open to a screen similar to what I have in the screenshot. To manage commerce you click on commerce. To change site colors, fonts, et cetera, you click on design. To build the site you click on pages.

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 11.07.16 PM.png

Link to comment
11 hours ago, sayreambrosio said:

When you click on the larger picture it will open to a screen similar to what I have in the screenshot. To manage commerce you click on commerce. To change site colors, fonts, et cetera, you click on design. To build the site you click on pages.

Screenshot 2023-01-03 at 11.07.16 PM.png

How do I get them to connect? I can't figure out how to get the one page of the website to connect with the commerce side. As it is they're just separate from each other and I don't know how to connect them. I really appreciate your help! I feel like it's just a thing I'm overlooking.

Link to comment
1 hour ago, spookyyank said:

How do I get them to connect? I can't figure out how to get the one page of the website to connect with the commerce side. As it is they're just separate from each other and I don't know how to connect them. I really appreciate your help! I feel like it's just a thing I'm overlooking.

Here's a quick video on how to add your store/commerce to your site.

Link to comment
On 1/4/2023 at 12:41 PM, sayreambrosio said:

Here's a quick video on how to add your store/commerce to your site.

1874194574_AddingaStoretoYourSiteSQSP.mov

I'm sorry for the delay, life has been very busy the last couple of days. I probably should have just re-created the store and been resentful, but I have been trying to avoid that. I have the commerce site created already. It's mostly ready to go. Using this tutorial you sent, can I connect the already created store or do I have to build it from scratch all over again? 

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

×
×
  • Create New...

Squarespace Webinars

Free online sessions where you’ll learn the basics and refine your Squarespace skills.

Hire a Designer

Stand out online with the help of an experienced designer or developer.