Have moved from UK to NZ, page won't show up in google

Go to solution Solved by SEOSpace_Henry,

Hi there,
I started my Squarespace site in the UK and paid an annual subscription there in GBP. I have now moved home to New Zealand and I have found my website hardly comes up in relevant searches on Google (I am one of four New Zealand based Live Wedding Painters). I have changed my website location but analytics show that I am only appearing in UK based searches for this service. I tried to add a second domain with a .co.nz but Squarespace does not support it
I would love any help or advice on this!

• Solution

Hi @Ameliaj23 - hope your NZ move went okay!

There are a number of things you can do here:

• Ensure you have backlinks from other sites in New Zealand - this will show Google that you are relevant in that area.
  • Set up your Google My Business and ensure your location is set to New Zealand
  • Begin to publish blogs which are relevant to your niche in your new location (e.g. best wedding venues in New Zealand). As with the 1st point, this is important because it shows Google you are relevant and have authority in the area.

If your current domain is .co.uk, will hold you back, so it could be worth getting the .com, as this is international.

I'm not sure why you can't add a second domain, but I'm sure someone can help you out here.

Henry Purchase

Founder of SEOSpace - the SEO plugin for Squarespace.

Get a Free Squarespace SEO Audit: https://www.seospace.co.uk/squarespace-seo-audit-score

image.png.f2cf8f5bd8cb76803cb561be0b303142.png

1 hour ago, Ameliaj23 said:

I have now moved home to New Zealand and I have found my website hardly comes up in relevant searches on Google. I tried to add a second domain with a .co.nz but Squarespace does not support it

Hi Amelia

Some thoughts for you:

• Your Squarespace website can only have one primary domain name. You can choose which one of the two domains you want to use (.com or .co.nz). The other one will redirect to the one selected as the primary.
  • Have you included New Zealand or locality in your site title or site description?
  • Have you verified your site with Google Search Console?
  • Have you verified your site with Bing Webmaster Tools?
  • Have you created a Google Business Profile to claim your business information and maximise how users find your business in local search results?
  • Have you included enough copy on your homepage that describes the services you offer and where you offer them? Typically, art and photography-based websites rarely include enough relevant text.
  • Are you missing opportunities to mention New Zealand locations on your site? For example, have you included a portfolio that mentions locations or a blog about best wedding locations?
  • Is your footer being used effectively? 

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Thanks so much for your responses. I had already verified with Google Search Console, and have now set up Google Business. No result yet on the search bar, I'll also have a go at some of the other suggestions here and see if that improves things. 
When trying to add my .co.nz domain it simply says that squarespace does not support that type of domain. I'm tempted to set up an entirely different site for my live wedding painting servies but I feel like that would be a too fiddly!

• 7 months later...

Hi Amelia,

Wondering if you made any progress with your query. I have also been trying to set up various pixel tags using Google Tag Manager that has been set up on my Squarespace site. While i can set up GTM it looks like any pixels I create in GTM don't work because my .co.nz domain is a redirect. 

It would seem that SquareSpace is not supported that well in NZ and doesn't allow .co.nz domains to be attached to their sites. 

Regards

Garry

38 minutes ago, Gazamaz said:

It would seem that SquareSpace is not supported that well in NZ and doesn't allow .co.nz domains to be attached to their sites. 

I think the misunderstanding here is about the terminology. Although may not be able to purchase a New Zealand top level domain (TLD) from Squarespace yet, you can certainly connect one to your Squarespace website. You do not need to redirect it. See Connecting a domain to your Squarespace site or post back with details of the site and domain if you need more help.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.