I would like to update to 7.1 but i would rather not lose 8 years of sales data and analytics

Are there any plans to allow for a migration to 7.1? I'm sitting back here in 7.0 seeing all these new features being developed that would be great to keep my site looking up to date with the internet and I can't use them without throwing out 8 years of sales data and analytics.

I am really confused why squarespace would want to put an upgrade to 7.1 on equal footing to transferring to any other platform out there. I don't care if i have to redesign all my pages. It would be great if they did not all have to be done at once of course but even if they all had to be done at once that would be fine, i just don't want to lose all that data. I have saved off backups in case squarespace ever goes away of course but that does not make it searchable and able to look for trends in the data.

Deleting your site and starting over is a terrible option. Will this ever be addressed? It's been over two years of the FAQ reading "It's not currently possible to migrate directly to Squarespace 7.1" implying that it will eventually happen. I'm really starting to lose hope here.

Hi,

No way to upgrade 7.0 to 7.1 directly

You will need to create new site in 7.1, design layout, copy data from 7.0 to 7.1, then contact SS Customer Care to transfer subscription from 7.0 to 7.1 site.

Why you want to upgrade 7.0 to 7.1? I still use 7.0.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

I have no problems redoing all the website layouts or any of that and frankly i would expect that with new layout tools i would have to draw up new layouts. That's a bit annoying but that's honestly expected.

But I can't copy over sales and analytics data. Losing that 8 years of history makes the switch to 7.1 the exact same level of difficulty as switching to a completely different competitive platform instead. 

As for why i want to upgrade, I keep adding products and frankly the 7.0 templates are overflowing a bit to the point where customers are having issues narrowing it down to what they want, especially on mobile. The 7.1 layout allows for categories to be used much more efficiently. I can't even reorder categories in 7.0 which seems like pretty basic functionality. They recognize this because they added the feature in 7.1 but apparently it's ok to leave old customers in the dark.

On 10/21/2022 at 11:40 AM, Marc0 said:

Are there any plans to allow for a migration to 7.1? I'm sitting back here in 7.0 seeing all these new features being developed that would be great to keep my site looking up to date with the internet and I can't use them without throwing out 8 years of sales data and analytics.

I completely understand. The situation is not perfect so it is a real dilemma for anyone that has been using Squarespace for a while.

Version 7.0 is still available and supported 

If you remain on Squarespace 7.0 you'll be able to enjoy the existing features for years to come. If you don't need the 7.1-only features, you can be reassured that Squarespace will continue to support this version for a long time into the future (they are still supporting version 5).

That said, Squarespace are not actively investing in version 7.0 so, over a period of time, you'll be paying the same subscription fee as a 7.1 user for fewer features.

Version 7.1 is feature-packed 

If you need one or more of the new features that are only available on Squarespace 7.1 (and are only being released regularly on this version) then you may want to consider upgrading soon. The Commerce features on Squarespace 7.1 are far more advanced than version 7.0. For example, you can:

• Have 10,000 products in a single store (compared to 200 on v7.0)
  • A separate mobile layout for pages
  • Add Portfolio pages
  • Add page sections to any page.
  • Use Fluid Engine, Squarespace's latest content editing experience.
  • Use auto layouts to add sets of content
  • Use more heading and paragraph styles/sizes
  • Set a site-wide colour palette. This makes it easy to make colour changes as you can change a colour in the palette and that applies the change to all elements.
  • Enjoy improved SEO

A migration tool is not available yet

Currently, the migration process is completely manual. You'll need to start building your new site from scratch and then migrate your content, page by page. Worse still, you'll lose all the "backend" data that you've collected since your original site went live. This includes customer accounts, subscriptions, product reviews, analytics data, blog comments and more.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009
edited for clarity

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 1 month later...

I have a website that I would like to merge into a 7.1 or migrate (which looks impossible). The issue is I have products and clients already in subscriptions, mailing lists. How is this done in a way that doesn't interfere with my service to my clients?

From what I have learned, there is no smooth way to migrate to 7.1 without being disruptive to your business unfortunately. I'd also like to switch to 7.1 but you have to completely rebuild using a new plan, cancel the old site, and then move your domain to the new site. Really frustrating. 😞

Here is an article with tips: https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038270572

• 1 month later...
On 10/23/2022 at 6:03 PM, paul2009 said:

I completely understand.

The situation is not perfect so it is a real dilemma for anyone that has been using Squarespace for a while.

If you don't need the 7.1-only features, you'll be able to use Squarespace 7.0 for years to come but, if you need the features that are available on 7.1 (and the commerce features are so much better!) then the best advice I can give you is to start building a new site in 7.1 now. Don't delay. Why? Because although I expect a 7.0 to 7.1 migration tool to be provided eventually, it won't be any time soon and there's no saying what backend data it will be able to migrate. 

If you migrate now you will lose customer accounts, subscriptions, product reviews, analytics data and blog comments but at least you'll start collecting this data on the new site straight away. The longer you remain on 7.0, the more historical data you will lose when you do eventually decide to migrate. 

Was this post helpful? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Damn this is depressing reading. I started this process 6 months ago, but gave up because my site is so huge, it would take hundreds of hours to achieve. Still holding out on that migration tool! Or a better Squarespace customer experience!

This is unacceptable. We're painted into a corner and don't have the ability to take advantage of the new features as it is impossible for us to move all our transaction history (as we provide free updates and need to resend updated digital links). I understand not being able to migrate a webpage to the new fluid engine as that could prove difficult but how hard is it to move a purchase history?

• 2 months later...

I'm attempting to upgrade our site to the new layout and can't find a way to contact SS support. What happens to your g suite account (which houses all of our email accounts) when we transfer the domain? Also, is there a way to move or download/copy email marketing templates, drafts, etc. so it can be transferred to the new site?