Resizing images

Go to solution Solved by Ziggy,

Beginner's question with probably very simple answer. I am trying to update an existing website with new products. I have edited a new product and the image is larger than the ones next to it. Obviously I want to resize it to match the other two in size. All the advice on the internet talks about clicking on the image and a grey dot appears, and I can just drag the image boundaries to resize it. But I don't get a grey dot. I get a blue square with a plus sign in it, and the blue box outlined doesn't resize when I drag it around with the mouse. What am I doing wrong? How do I edit the size of what is in this box?

capture.jpg

From this snippet of a screenshot, it looks like you're looking at a product block, not an image block.

My guess is that you would want to make sure that the aspect ratio of the main images in the products is the same so that the product blocks line up correctly. You would achieve this by either editing the image via the products in the store page, or editing/cropping the photo before uploading.

If you can provide a wider screenshot or even better a link to the website/page that would be helpful.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

Yes, you're probably right. It is one of three products in a line, so I guess it's a product block rather than a pure image block. But if I go to the product underlying it there seems to be no way of editing the size of the image. There are filters, and cropping tools, but they alter the actual image, not the size of it (like if I cropped the image I would lose the top of the bottle, for example). Also, if I upload an image from my computer, changing the size of the image makes hardly any difference to the size of the image uploaded to the product. The photo file was originally 4mb and 4000 odd pixels wide. The product image on my page resulting was huge. So I cropped the image before I uploaded it and uploaded it again. It's still much larger than the adjacent images. Then I checked the size of the adjacent images and they're 4mb files 4500 pixels wide. I don't get it? How are they comparatively small and the one I've uploaded, which is a fraction of the pixel dimensions, showing as twice the size? Also, is there no way to crop the image once it's in the asset library? It seems to be guesswork what size image to upload to match existing image files, which can't be right. I must be doing something basic wrong.

www.watersandwild.com is the URL. Scroll down and you see the three images.

The first problem I can see is that the product blocks are different widths, Squarespace (classic editor) has a 12 column grid, and you have the 3 product blocks taking up 5, 4 and 3 columns for left to right, you need to click between the blocks and drag them left to even them out.

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: 

I've done that, and it's much better. Thank you. So the images shrink and grow according to the size of the underlying blocks. Makes sense. In terms of fine-tuning, the image on the left is still slightly lower than the other two, which are in line (looking at the "Add-to-cart" buttons). How do you tweak this kind of fine detail? Is there such a thing as a drag-and-drop editor for squarespace? I want to pull the image in the product block on the left up slightly higher so that the cart buttons are in line, but I don't see a way to do that looking at the product block editing facilities?

• Solution
32 minutes ago, Joan123 said:

I want to pull the image in the product block on the left up slightly higher so that the cart buttons are in line

They are perfectly in line in terms of the images:

image.thumb.png.91dd79b0e052f3d4fce15d04ad37410c.png

The buttons will go out of line when the screen becomes too narrow to fit the product titles on one line for all of the products:

image.thumb.png.05a01269dbc5f30c8dd54cfd06319923.png

Since the first product has a longer title that wraps to two lines before the other two that then pushes the everything below it down. This is an inherent type of issue with dynamic content. It can be improved by not having such an exaggerated wide page (like old websites used to have) or changing the font size, or using some Custom CSS like this that sets a minimum height for the product title:

product-block .productDetails .product-title {
    min-height: 2.4em;
}

I hope that helps understanding of what's happening, and maybe how to fix it! 

Zygmunt Spray
Contact me: