Can't Verify Domain via DNS Record with Google Search Console

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi everyone. I'm hoping someone can help me. I'm not the most savvy with websites, Squarespace has been good so far but I've run into a problem. 

I'm trying to verify my domain via DNS record on the Google Search Console. It says:

• Select record type: TXT
  • Sign into your domain provider
  • copy the TXT record below into the DNS configuration for theclaytalk.com

So I went into the DNS settings in my Squarespace website. I created a custom record. The host is theclaytalk.com. Type is TXT. The Data is the string of text they told me to copy and paste. 

However, when I click verify in the google console it says "We couldn't find your verification token in your domain's TXT records. Sometimes DNS changes can take a while to appear. Please wait a few hours, then reopen your property in Search Console. If verification fails again, try adding a different DNS TXT record."

I've tried waiting 2 days now and it still won't verify. I'm not sure what I've done wrong. If anyone knows what to do I would greatly appreciate any help.
Cheers
Amanda
  • Solution
15 hours ago, TheClayTalk said:

I'm trying to verify my domain via DNS record. I went into the DNS settings in my Squarespace website. I created a custom record. However, when I click verify in the google console it says "We couldn't find your verification token in your domain's TXT records".

Hi Amanda

This is often a timing issue but not in this case. I checked the domain theclaytalk.com but no TXT records exist at the moment.

I recommend that you check your settings in the Domains panel and try to add the TXT record again. Do post a screenshot of the current settings if you are unsure how to proceed.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

21 hours ago, paul2009 said:

Hi Amanda

This is often a timing issue but not in this case. I checked the domain theclaytalk.com but no TXT records exist at the moment.

I recommend that you check your settings in the Domains panel and try to add the TXT record again. Do post a screenshot of the current settings if you are unsure how to proceed.

Thanks, I tried adding the @ symbol instead of writing theclaytalk.com as the host. This seemed to fix it 🙂

3 minutes ago, TheClayTalk said:

I tried adding the @ symbol instead of writing theclaytalk.com as the host. This seemed to fix it

Yes, I can confirm the record exists now:

image.thumb.png.c2f64e3a8e82a16a69a2fdee9762ae13.png

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 10 months later...

Same exact problem for me. Need to fix this because emails keep bouncing for certain segments of our audience with filters or high security.

Tried '@' instead of google host/TXT name, and it isn't working for me... at least checking immediately. Perhaps need to wait 48hrs. Not ideal to have to wait that long over and over to fix this. See attached. Thanks for any advice out there!

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 11.13.00 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 11.14.18 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 11.16.43 AM.png

• 5 months later...
On 10/16/2023 at 2:19 PM, mrjessewalker said:

Same exact problem for me. Need to fix this because emails keep bouncing for certain segments of our audience with filters or high security.

Tried '@' instead of google host/TXT name, and it isn't working for me... at least checking immediately. Perhaps need to wait 48hrs. Not ideal to have to wait that long over and over to fix this. See attached. Thanks for any advice out there!

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 11.13.00 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 11.14.18 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-16 at 11.16.43 AM.png