Correcting a customer's email

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

• Solution
On 12/10/2022 at 11:27 PM, allnaturalarts said:

Is there a way to correct a customer's email.  They input .con not .com. 

No, sadly you cannot correct the email address in a customer's profile in Squarespace, and customers cannot update it themselves either. It's a huge flaw.

The only way to update incorrect information in a customer's profile is to request that the Squarespace Trust & Privacy team make this change on your behalf, by exercising your rights under the law, as described in section 7 of the Squarespace Privacy Policy, copied here for reference:

"7. Your rights and choices
Where applicable law requires (and subject to any relevant exceptions under law), you may have the right to access, update, change or delete personal information. You can access, update, change or delete personal information (or that of your End Users) either directly in your Account or by contacting us at privacy@squarespace.com to request the required changes."

Update 3 March 2023: Squarespace have added a feature today that allows a customer to change the email address associated with their account, but only if they verified their email address. This means that if the customer originally provided an invalid email address (like the original poster asked, where they entered .con instead of .com) they will not be able to change their email address.

However, if they provided a valid email address originally and need to change it because of a change in circumstances, they can now do this.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 3 months later...
On 12/11/2022 at 4:22 AM, paul2009 said:

No, sadly you cannot correct the email address in a customer's profile in Squarespace, and customers cannot update it themselves either. It's a huge flaw.

The only way to update incorrect information in a customer's profile is to request that the Squarespace Trust & Privacy team make this change on your behalf, by exercising your rights under the law, as described in section 7 of the Squarespace Privacy Policy, copied here for reference:

"7. Your rights and choices
Where applicable law requires (and subject to any relevant exceptions under law), you may have the right to access, update, change or delete personal information. You can access, update, change or delete personal information (or that of your End Users) either directly in your Account or by contacting us at privacy@squarespace.com to request the required changes."

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

@allnaturalarts @Sarahbethl This isn't entirely correct. 

If a customer has an account with a verified email on the website, they’ll now be able to change the email address associated with that account. 

The process for customers is pretty simple:

1. Log in to a customer account
  2. Open the Account sidebar and click Profile
  3. Click Email
  4. Type the new email into the New field, and confirm it in the Confirm New field
  5. Re-enter the account password for security
  6. A verification email is sent to the updated email address
  7. Confirm the change in that email… et voilà! The new email is saved. 

This process only works if the original email has been verified, but verifying the original email can be done at any time.

24 minutes ago, sayreambrosio said:

This isn't entirely correct. If a customer has an account with a verified email on the website, they’ll now be able to change the email address associated with that account.

This new feature is a great improvement and I’ve added an update to my original post to include this.

However, it will not help in the original poster’s situation, where the customer mistyped their email address as .con instead of .com. If you are in the same situation @Sarahbethl, your customer won’t be able to verify their email address and so won’t be able to login to edit their details.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

2 hours ago, paul2009 said:

This new feature is a great improvement and I’ve added an update to my original post to include this.

However, it will not help in the original poster’s situation, where the customer mistyped their email address as .con instead of .com. If you are in the same situation @Sarahbethl, your customer won’t be able to verify their email address and so won’t be able to login to edit their details.

Oh good point. 

• 3 months later...

So does Squarespace plan to change the email issue? I have now had 2 customers mistype their email on their order, and it's also affecting their order history. I have emailed them privacy@squarespace.com and the response I received is that this customer has a duplicate email. 🙄 They aren't even comprehending the task needed. This is the most ridiculous software flaw I have had to deal with.