Fuzzy and generally cruddy looking photos after upload

HEY guys!

So, I've got a website with SquareSpace, and I'm a bit frustrated with the image quality. I upload images in PNG or JPG format, following the guidelines of 2500 pixels wide, or larger. My images are tack sharp- and once I upload them, the tones are a bit muddy and fuzzy. Oddly, if I open the individual image in the "gallery editor" it looks great, as I intended at upload.  But back in the image carousel on the website its terrible- at least to my eye, knowing how the original photo looks. 

Any experience with this? Is it the carousel option? Would the images look better in a static gallery? it's a bit frustrating seeing other working photographers websites (NOT on Square) with a carousel or click through design and their image display canvasses are bigger, cleaner and sharper.

Thanks ahead for any advice!

Ok I actually had the gallery set to "Slideshow" "simple" in order to fit the vertical photos in my portfolio. I didn't like that option because it leaves a lot of empty space around the images, but it resizes to allow the vertical shots, whereas the other slideshow formats will crop your image.  I see that the Slideshow Full format option definitely allows for a much larger presentation of the image and it is definitely better resolution, but it crops the top and bottom of them, and with my images being of architecture, I can't have someone viewing the image and wondering why the image is cropped at a weird point, especially since I don't see any option for the full image to be revealed by clicking on the image itself. Also does not work on mobile.  I don't know. I guess I need to play around with it and see what I can do. I prefer the slideshow because of the immediate large size of the image when landing on the page,  instead of the masonry gallery which looks too busy and the images are small. 

www.primemeridianphoto.com

Edited by DTMACNEILL
typos

Another question- can I set a different gallery type for mobile phone users only? I think I can live with the Slideshow Reel for now, but it looks absolutely terrible on mobile. Crops everything vertically. If use a gallery that suits mobile- it looks bad on the desktop.... wondering If I can separate the two....