MX / DNS disconnect... Squarespace is my Google Workspace reseller but GoDaddy is my domain registrar

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

My domain is registered with GoDaddy, and my site is on Squarespace, so my GoDaddy DNS settings use Squarespace nameservers. I signed up for Google Workspace through Squarespace so I can use an email address associated with my domain, and I'm wondering whether that was a mistake. While following Google Workspace instructions for activating Gmail (https://support.google.com/a/answer/140034?hl=en), I saw that I have to set up the MX records for Google Workspace, but GoDaddy won't let me create a new MX record; the explanation is: "We can't display your DNS information because your nameservers aren't managed by us. Manage your DNS here by changing your nameservers to default nameservers." But if I change the nameservers to GoDaddy's default nameservers, my domain will no longer be connected with my SquareSpace website. Is there a way to reconcile this or was I mistaken in thinking I could use Squarespace as my Google Workspace reseller (so my email works) while using GoDaddy as my domain registrar? Must I either transfer my domain to Squarespace, or use GoDaddy rather than Squarespace as my Google Workspace reseller? Thank you.

There are many ways you can go but let's assume you want to stay with GoDaddy for the moment.

Please see GoDaddy: Activate Gmail for Google Workspace.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

Creedon, thanks for the quick response. Actually the instructions at GoDaddy: Activate Gmail for Google Workspace are what led me to discover this problem. I can't create the necessary MX record because the nameservers for my domain are connect1.squarespacedns.com and connect2.squarespacedns.com (the screenshot below is from my DNS Management page on GoDaddy).

I suppose I could change the nameservers back to GoDaddy's default nameservers, which would disconnect my domain from my SquareSpace site, but which would let me set up the MX record for Google Workspace. And then I could update the nameservers again to connect my domain back to my SquareSpace site. But wouldn't that undo the MX record and render my email unusable again?

mx.jpg

Edited by Bennn
  • Solution
On 12/3/2022 at 6:56 AM, Bennn said:

My domain is registered with GoDaddy, and my site is on Squarespace, so my GoDaddy DNS settings use Squarespace nameservers. I signed up for Google Workspace through Squarespace. I saw that I have to set up the MX records for Google Workspace, but GoDaddy won't let me create a new MX record

As your GoDaddy domain is connected via Nameserver Connect, this should make everything easier! Squarespace control your DNS records now, which means you shouldn’t need logon to GoDaddy to manage the settings, you can do it from Squarespace.

As your domain is connected via Nameserver Connect, MX records should already be in your domain as part of your account setup. However, if they are not, you can add them manually. This guide explains how to check for these records, and if necessary, add them.

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

• 2 weeks later...