My website slowed waaay down because of this 3rd party code... (FYI post in case it helps someone, not a question)

Go to solution Solved by Phil84vaive,

I've spent the past 6 hours trying to figure out why my website suddenly began loading at a snail's pace, despite not having made any changes to cause this. I started with a customer service chat, which was not particularly helpful. After resizing many images and removing social media blocks etc., I went went through all third party code I'd injected and discovered that Squarespace NinjaKit by IX Studio was the culprit. Their website is currently down, so I'm not sure whether it no longer exists or if this will be something that is repaired, but it shows that the Chrome extension has over 1,000 users so I thought it might be helpful to post here in case anyone else is searching for why their website is all of the sudden taking 10 minutes to load.

I have no knowledge of @IXStudio's Ninjakit or how it works but if their domain is down it may be possible that the code you installed is trying to reach the IXStudio domain for some info and can't get there, thereby causing issues.

A possible explanation but obviously not a solution.

Edited by creedon

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• Solution

Thank you for showing me this thread, creedon!

I have removed the code that refers to IXStudio for now - yes, it does need to refer to their (now non-existent) website in order to function.

If anyone else is having this issue, and has anything from IXStudios installed, here's how to remove it:

1. go to your settings
  2. click advanced
  3. click code injection
  4. remove the following line of code from your header:
    <link rel="stylesheet" href="https://ninjakit-assets.ixstudio.net/assets/admin/css/ninja-sqs.css" />
  5. Remove the following line of code from your footer:
    <script src="https://ninjakit-assets.ixstudio.net/assets/admin/js/ninja-sqs.js"></script>

6. then go through your site and remove all the code blocks that no longer work. I have mine saved in a document for now in case IX Studio starts working again, but since it looks like their domain is up for sale I kind of doubt it will be.