Adding a video gallery in 7.1

Go to solution Solved by paul2009,

Hi all,

I am looking at option how to add a video gallery to my clients website. 

Unfortunately there still does not seem to be a gallery section just for videos in 7.1, is this correct?

As a workaround I know I can add a gallery to a blank section and embed videos via the little "+" sign. However, if I do this the caption/description I add for the video does not show.

How can I get the description of an embedded video to show under the video in the gallery?

As always, thank you very much for your advice.

Onika

3 hours ago, onika said:

Unfortunately there still does not seem to be a gallery section just for videos in 7.1, is this correct?

Yes, that's correct. I'm not sure if there are any plans to be able to add videos to the gallery section.

Your best bet may well just be to use the video block and text block to create the style you want.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

3 hours ago, onika said:

Yes, that's correct. I'm not sure if there are any plans to be able to add videos to the gallery section.

Your best bet may well just be to use the video block and text block to create the style you want.

Please like and upvote if my comments were helpful to you. Cheers!

Zygmunt Spray
Squarespace Website Designer
Contact me: 
https://squarefortytwo.com 

Did I help? Buy me a coffee?

🔌 Ghost Squarespace Plugins (Referral link)
📈 SEO Space (Referral link)
 SquareWebsites Plugins (Referral link)
 🔲 SQSP Themes (Referral link) 
Spark Plugin (Referral link) 

• Solution
On 11/28/2022 at 11:51 AM, onika said:

I am looking at option how to add a video gallery to my clients website. Unfortunately there still does not seem to be a gallery section just for videos in 7.1, is this correct?

On Squarespace 7.1, you can add a Videos Page to create a browsable library of videos on your site. In a videos page, you can embed externally hosted videos from Vimeo or YouTube, or upload your own video files to your site directly.

Video pages are organised into two parts:

• the Video List page is a browsable landing page for your video library. The page displays all added videos in a grid of featured images, organised by categories.
  • individual Video Details pages - Clicking on a video opens its Video Details page, where you can watch the video and find more information about it.

image.thumb.png.102d8f89fad2c5d65adf9f9ccb2786ec.png

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Edited by paul2009

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

5 minutes ago, paul2009 said:

On Squarespace 7.1, you can add a Videos Page to create a browsable library of videos on your site. In a videos page, you can embed externally hosted videos from Vimeo or YouTube, or upload your own video files to your site directly.

Video pages are organised into two parts:

• the Video List page is a browsable landing page for your video library. The page displays all added videos in a grid of featured images, organised by categories.
  • individual Video Details pages - Clicking on a video opens its Video Details page, where you can watch the video and find more information about it.

image.thumb.png.102d8f89fad2c5d65adf9f9ccb2786ec.png

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

Thank you, this is perfect. I was looking for it and completely missed it. Now I found it and it is the answer to my question!

• 1 year later...

Yes but this video gallery does not show thumbnails of videos added via YouTube/vimeo link. It is just a blank space and looks silly, unprofessional and dysfunctional. I have complained about this for months now with support and they have been completely unhelpful. Why offer a functionality that does not work???? Blows my mind.

1 hour ago, jess_z89 said:

this video gallery does not show thumbnails of videos added via YouTube/vimeo link

It should. I've replied to your other post about this.

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.