Character Limits Or Max Length to text area field of Form Block

Is there any way to use custom css to create a max length for a specific field in a form block?  

I've tried to makes sense of the very long thread that already exists int he forum, but it's a mensa project, as it refers to itself on different dates, and then when I go to the dates, it's a link and then I click, and it doesn't make any sense to me, an admitted beginner.  

I've found html, but that means building a whole new form in a code block, I think.  Instead, I want to use the form block that squarespace has and limit a few of the specific fields.

Advice? Help?

Thanks for your time,

Becca

1 hour ago, BeccaK said:

Is there any way to use custom css to create a max length for a specific field in a form block?

Hi Becca

You can use CSS to style form fields, but you cannot use it set parameters like max length. For that you'll need someone to write some JavaScript that is specific to your form, to change the form block after it has loaded on the page. If the site isn’t live, please see How to Post a Forum Question for guidance on how to provide a link to your site.

Note that JavaScript is not supported on Personal Plans so the site will need to be on a higher plan.

Did this help? Please give feedback by clicking an icon below  ⬇️

About me: I've been a SQSP User for 18 yrs. I was invited to join the Circle when it launched in 2016. I have been a Circle Leader since 2017. I don't work for Squarespace. I value honesty, transparency, diversity and good design ♥.
Work: I founded and run SF.DIGITAL, building Squarespace Extensions to supercharge your commerce website. 
Content: Views and opinions are my own. Links in my posts may refer to SF.DIGITAL products or may be affiliate links.
Forum advice is free. You can thank me by clicking one of the feedback emojis below. Coffee is optional.

Creedon and Paul2009 . ..  thank you for your replies.  

I had already tried to make my way through the thread you sent, Creedon, and, as noted, it felt like a mensa maze to me:) 😞  

And, the site is live, so it seems the javascript boat has sailed, Paul2009.

Becca

it felt like a mensa maze to me:) 😞

Custom code can be confusing if you are not familiar with the technologies involved.

so it seems the javascript boat has sailed

If you want to test the code first, before upgrading your plan, to make sure it works you can always duplicate your site, or start a new one, and test the code there.

I believe you can also upgrade and then downgrade your plan if things don't work out. I think you'd have to get in contact with Customer Support to go that route, for the downgrade part.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.