What's next after "Sonny" ?

Go to solution Solved by tuanphan,

I built our first SS site in 2014 to serve as the primary web site for our U.S. 501c3 non-profit.  Current template is “Sonny.” I am seeking feedback on existing site and what I should change if I rebuild in a new SS version.  I’m told I can’t migrate to a higher version of SS from my existing site.  What advantage would their be to changing to a higher version?

What template(s) would one recommend if we change? 

Critical components needed: 

1. As described on existing site, we support 4 primary NGO’s in Uganda.   Primary ministry areas are children's rescue home and education.  All income is donation based.

2. Child sponsorships: I use SS blogs to store/present each child's bio, sponsorship link and photo by children's home (we have 3).  I use tags and categories to track groups and subgroups of children.  As you can image this is laborsum given that we support 150+ children and growing.  This has worked ok but there must be a better way.  I don’t like the limitations of how to present blogs in summary blocks.  I am limited to I think 30 but if I have more than 30 children I can’t present them unless I subgroup them using categories.  Example page: https://www.sonriseministriesinc.org/ch-children/junior-nicolus-kibuka

3. Would like to simplify the site as much as possible.  I’m sure we can thin the content. 

4. I wish we had a few more text styles than few that are offered under Sonny.

5. I am an army of one. No help and I’m not rich.

5. All the photography on the site is mine.

6. We do not sell products.

7. I need advice on how to direct more people to the site when all our news and social media posts highlight most of the news.

Thank you
Art
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Solution

Hi,

You can't upgrade directly from 7.0 to 7.1. You need to rebuild the site then transfer subscription

Although SS 7.1 supports more features, I still prefer 7.0, it seems to load faster and lighter.

#2. To have more >30 posts, you can try this guide: https://squase.net/how-to-add-load-more-button-to-squarespace-summary/

or use Lazy Load Plugin but it costs ~40-55$

or you can add tags for other posts, then use Filter tab in Summary Setting to show more than 30 posts

#4. SS 7.1 (latest version) offer a lot of styles. 

And each section, you can use a different style, there are around 10 theme styles (each theme you can set styles for many elements)

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)