Receiving "Error parsing Custom CSS, verify Custom CSS is valid" when trying to edit existing events or draft new ones...

Go to solution Solved by gwen,

Hi all,

I'm unable to edit any existing events in our website calendar; also unable to edit a draft event that I've duplicated from an existing event.

When I click into an existing event (blog post) to edit, the entire post editor is highlighted as though it's a code block, even when there are image and text blocks that are making up the event/post. When I click this, it opens up the event/post content in a new page, when I click into this, a code block that is part of our event/posts comes up but I'm still unable to edit/change any other content within the selected event/post.

This is a major problem for us as we are in the business of running training events...

I can see from a couple other posts made within the last day that this may be an issue with 7.0 only — wondering if anyone else running a Version 7.0– Bedford family (Bryant Hill template) is experiencing this? Other posts have had suggested fixes of removing custom CSS from website and some of the affected people have done this to no avail.

Thought it would be worth asking here as it doesn't seem to actually be a custom CSS issue and more of an issue with this particular kind of page content.

Edited by gwen
updated version and template

@creedon I reached out to customer support yesterday and here was their reply:

Darius X. (Squarespace)

Nov 20, 2022, 10:23 PM EST

Hi Gwen,

Thank you for reaching out. My name is Darius and I'll be able to help today.

We appreciate you reporting this to us. There was a small bug affecting a small number of sites like yours resulting in the error message you received. This has since been resolved. For those still seeing the error, we ask you to please clear your browsers cache following the instructions found in the following help guide:

https://support.squarespace.com/hc/en-us/articles/205815408

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reach back out. We're always here to help.

I've cleared my cache twice and nothing has changed though. 

Is this still happening for you?

Squarespace have come back to me again and putting this into the custom CSS bucket and therefore will not look into this further. This is despite the fact that another user experiencing the same problem has already posted here saying they have removed all custom CSS from their site.

Edited by gwen
Lowered my level of snark
2 hours ago, gwen said:

Is this still happening for you?

I've not actually experienced this myself. I've just noted several others reporting similar issues.

Find my contributions useful? Please like, upvote, mark my answer as the best ( solution ), and see my profile. Thanks for your support! I am a Squarespace ( and other technological things ) consultant open for new projects.

• Solution
2 hours ago, benwann1 said:

I have this issue. I cleared all CSS and refreshed the cache- help! 

I have 10 sites with Squarespace and expect some quick support here. It's disappointing to read the previous customer support replies on this forum for this issue so far.

This issue is disrupting my business. 

There was an error in our site CSS that we fixed (thanks, Saga from Squarespace!) and then Squarespace had to clear a cache for the error to disappear in our case. I also had to clear my browser cache again for the fix to show up on my end.

I still don't think that was causing the error itself though, as you and others who have cleared all custom CSS (and those who have never had custom CSS) are experiencing this.

You'll need to contact customer support and ask for assistance and make sure to ask them to clear the site cache, then clear your browser cache as well.