Section Background Video Flashes Black when Loading

Hello all!

This is my first forum post so please let me know if I leave out any information. I'm working on this website for a client:

http://goose-pentagon-x49w.squarespace.com

(It's public.)

The client wants the video of the gray brain scan in the background of each header to play automatically, but I am having a hard time getting rid of a black flash that occurs when the page is loading. I added a white mobile fallback image, and I've tried some code to change the background or hide the video until it loads, but nothing has worked thus far. 

Any help is greatly appreciated!

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, jherwitt_jewelry said:

Same here. Why is this happening? How can it be fixed?

Hi, this is likely happening for a number of reasons. size of video, internet speed, browser etc

SquareSpace has some tips on video requirements, fallback image etc. You can find all the information here Adding background videos

These steps will help, but I do find that sometimes the video will still be slow to show, hence causing a "flash" when it briefly shows the background colour.

If you are familiar with CSS:

- you could change the background colour to be more suitable,

- set a background image to load before all the related video elements

Hope it helps. Let me know how it goes.

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 Can't figure something out and want to learn? 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace session 
👩‍💻 Need some customisation for a design? 💁‍♀️ Custom Code help
 Did I help? 💁‍♀️ I like coffee

11 hours ago, jherwitt_jewelry said:

the problem is with the video player obviously and it has to be fixed by the platform!

I hear you! Then I would suggest you should raise a ticket with SquareSpace Support

Since you've asked here on the forum, this is a place for SquareSpace users to support and help each other (not monitored by SquareSpace), my experience is that I've found doing what's in the SquareSpace docs solve majority of the issues. 

I have a video background as my hero section, you can check my website in my signature to see how it looks. I don't think it's perfect, but I did those things I've described to you above. 

Having said that, there will still be issues that are outside of yours and SquareSpace's control that affects how the video performs. e.g. user's internet speed.

Hope it helps. 

Edited by melody495

-------- > 👆 <---------- Please quote or @ me when replying, or I won't get a notification 

Melody | Squarespace Website Developer
e: melody@melodylee.tech

💻 Can't figure something out and want to learn? 💁‍♀️ 1-2-1 Squarespace session 
👩‍💻 Need some customisation for a design? 💁‍♀️ Custom Code help
 Did I help? 💁‍♀️ I like coffee