What's a good directory template/ plugin? NOT community box

Site URL: https://www.sliim.org

I'm having trouble finding a good directory plugin I can use for Squarespace. I used community box and have been having endless problems with functionality and accessibility. Is there another site similar to it that works better? I can't seem to find anything about directories for squarespace.

If you go to my site and go to Find a Practitioner, you'll see where the directory loads. This is a super important aspect of my site and business. I really need to change this ASAP. Thank you

Site URL: https://www.compassionatemind.org.au/

Hi,

I would like to create a searchable/filterable directory of practitioners for our website.

I have searched through previous questions and see that there may be a plugin available, however it appears not to be well rated and costs a significant amount.

I have seen that it might also be possible to create a directory through creating a blog, and having one blog entry per practitioner. I am interested in this, but would love to see examples of this first, so I can see whether it would be suitable. Does anybody have any examples that they would be happy to share?

I would also be very interested to hear if there are any alternative solutions.

Thanks very much for your help!

@grainne

The blog-as-searchable-practitioner-database is a simple way to handle your problem. It allows you to make a detailed, style-able entry with links and more for each practitioner.

Using the Archive dropdown block for Tags would be a great way to handle the names, and the Category field as their specialties.

Good luck!

With ❤️, from Andrew @ SQSDesign
Need help building and maintaining your website?

That's all we do: custom blocks, fully-styled templates, product management, POD fulfillment, and more.
Reach out anytime, 24/7/365: 
📱
(628) SQS-DSGN • ✉️ Email • 👀 Instagram • 🚀 RocketSurgery Blog •  🔲 @SQSDesign

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 11/30/2020 at 8:45 PM, NatashaP said:

Hi there,

I Created a Directory on Squarespace using a blog and archive block.
I created a blog for every business listing with the info and a map on that and had the archive list there for people to select the categories they're after.

Hope this helps! 

Hey Natasha, 

Do you have an example of how your directory looks like? I'd love to know how you used the archive block. Thanks!

Sophia Ojha
Simplicity | Kindness | Inspired by Nature
Based in the Blue Ridge Mountains (North Carolina, USA)
Squarespace Web Designer and Biz Coach to Web Designers

• 5 months later...

Hey, I have a similar question.

I am building a site that needs a members directory. And I need to members directory to be a recurring yearly subscription. As far as I have researched, I have a few options:

1. Add in https://www.communitybox.co/ as the directory, and manually handle new entries

2. Use squarespace members area for the subscription, and inside the members area add a link for members to update their details in communitybox

3. Use https://www.memberspace.com/ as the members area (which uses communitybox as a directory) and embed into my site

4. Use https://membershipworks.com/ as a members area and login.

Does anyone have any advise on what the best workflow would be, and what integrates the best and the most seamlessly for members to use?

Thanks, Justin

• 8 months later...

Hello all,

I have been scouring the web for a way to easily create and maintain a list of Business Members on our website for all to see. Currently, I accomplish this with a TON of text blocks that I update manually. However, we are nearing 200 members and the website editor bogs down awfully when I go in to add or remove someone (which happens regularly). Sometimes it takes over a minute for the editor to allow me to make changes to the page. Here's what it looks like today:

https://www.oklahomaroute66.com/business-member-map

What would you all recommend to make this process less cumberson?

I would LOVE to also have a way to filter/sort this list for people searching for something specific but that is a "nice to have". Our non-profit runs on a shoestring budget so anything I can do to make this happen WITHOUT paying a monthly fee is preferred. Looking for ideas!

Thank you all for your input.

Hi,

#1. How about creating multi pages, then add some buttons: Next or Previous at the bottom? It will definitely improve the speed a lot.

#2. Another way is to use Summary Block, but can't achieve the current layout. With Summary + a paid plugin, we can create search/filter feature.

Email me if you have need any help (free, of course.). Answer within 24 hours. 
Or send to forum message

Contact Customer Care - Learn CSS - Buy me a coffee (thank you!)

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay! I just got notified this had an answer. I had considered breaking it up into several pages (like East/Central/West since it's geographic for the most part) but wanted to avoid that. But it may resolve the problem. We run on a really tight budget and I'd rather avoid paid plugins unless they are absolutely necessary, but this gives me something to try for now. Thank you for replying!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I use the SquareSpace Members Area with CommunityBox.

So people pay for the membership and then create their own directory listing behind the paywall.

It's a nightmare... but slightly less nightmarish than having to create all the entries manually every time using the blog pages.

Pain points of this method:

• Directory members have to create a SECOND login to create/edit their own listings, so they are ALL CONFUSED by this since they just created a login when signing up for the Membership.

• CommunityBox is buggy, but reliably buggy, so I can create FAQ answers to these questions that always come up.

• CommunityBox search sux. If a person searches for the next town over, the listing will not come up. They have a Map tool, which is great, but I wish the search function was better for users to find listings "near me".

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I've created a few membership sites on Squarespace (and WordPress) using Membershipworks.com   
It's simple and easy for the admins and members to use and set up plus the pricing is not bad.  It has some limitations but for what is needed it covers the basics for memberships like networking groups and chambers.  

Tiffany Doner

Website Designer at https://yourwebsitefixer.com/
View my portfolio